Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rulebook question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Partridge
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
In the rulebook, under "Ship Strikes," it says six of them have a label on their left side and to set those aside. Was this from an earlier draft? I can't find any cards like that, or another reference to what's to be done with them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You most likely already have them in the episode decks.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bass
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This one got me too. Most likely, the ones you are looking at are the "regular 20". The other ones should already be in the appropriate episode decks.

I ran into a different question trying to get set up for my first solo attempt. The game setup lists the player starting decks as having 13 cards each (7 shiny, 5 misbehave, 1 talent), but in step 3 on the same page, you are instructed to take the 14-card stacks for each of the supporting characters, and shuffle them together into a 56-card deck. I thought maybe the Avatar was the 14th card, but the next thing it says is to put the four Avatars back in the box. I would assume the 14 is a typo, but the math works out correctly for a 56-card deck if it is 14 cards per supporting character. Should this say to shuffle the 13-card stacks into a 52-card Crew Deck?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tazzmann wrote:
I ran into a different question trying to get set up for my first solo attempt. The game setup lists the player starting decks as having 13 cards each (7 shiny, 5 misbehave, 1 talent), but in step 3 on the same page, you are instructed to take the 14-card stacks for each of the supporting characters, and shuffle them together into a 56-card deck. I thought maybe the Avatar was the 14th card, but the next thing it says is to put the four Avatars back in the box. I would assume the 14 is a typo, but the math works out correctly for a 56-card deck if it is 14 cards per supporting character. Should this say to shuffle the 13-card stacks into a 52-card Crew Deck?


You are confusing the Player decks with the Character deck.

Each player starts with the 13-card deck (Shinys, Misbehaves, and a Talent), along with an Avatar (one of the 5 "main characters").

The 4 characters that aren't selected as the "main characters" have their 14-card character minidecks (which are specific to each character) combined and shuffled into the 56-card Character deck. This is the deck from which the cards are drawn to fill the Bridge, from which the players recruit their cards to build up their player decks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
So in essence, the "support" characters are the ones that do most of the work, while the player's "main" characters only provide the specific effects for the Talent and Flaw cards (as well as triggering certain effects on other cards, both in the Character deck, and the Episode deck)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bass
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Thanks for the clarification, and the quick response!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bass
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
So in essence, the "support" characters are the ones that do most of the work, while the player's "main" characters only provide the specific effects for the Talent and Flaw cards (as well as triggering certain effects on other cards, both in the Character deck, and the Episode deck)


I am thoroughly confused by this rule book. The "Your First Game - Use These Cards" box says "(In a four-player game, leave out Book. In a three-player game, leave out Jayne and Book, etc.)", but the setup section on page 5 makes it sound like they should be main characters (but do not count as players). So with the lineup they suggest, the cards for Wash, Inara, River, and Simon make up the crew deck, but I am not seeing any reference to the cards for the main characters. Are these cards really not used? This seems completely backwards, but I am seeing references to my personal deck of 13 (not 14) cards, which would be the 7 shiny, 5 misbehave, and 1 talent. Am I missing something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tazzmann wrote:
I am thoroughly confused by this rule book. The "Your First Game - Use These Cards" box says "(In a four-player game, leave out Book. In a three-player game, leave out Jayne and Book, etc.)", but the setup section on page 5 makes it sound like they should be main characters (but do not count as players). So with the lineup they suggest, the cards for Wash, Inara, River, and Simon make up the crew deck, but I am not seeing any reference to the cards for the main characters. Are these cards really not used? This seems completely backwards, but I am seeing references to my personal deck of 13 (not 14) cards, which would be the 7 shiny, 5 misbehave, and 1 talent. Am I missing something?

For each game, the 9 characters will all fall into one of three categories:
- Main (player) Characters: (# = # of players) These are the persona that the players are using. Each player takes the avatar depicting their character, and this determines which effects the Talents and Flaws in their player deck generate.

- Main (non-player) Characters: (# = 5 minus number of players) These are considered "Main Characters", but they don't really do anything other than trigger certain abilities or events on other cards. (occasionally they can incur a crew strike, which will defeat them and take them out of the game until healed)

- Support Characters: (# = 4) These are the characters whose mini-decks are used to construct the Crew deck.


There will always be 5 "main characters", but not all of them are player characters. The mini-decks for the "main characters" are not used in that particular game.

It seems a little backwards to me, too. But I guess they wanted all the characters to be represented somehow in each game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
We like the # of players/5/4 mechanic. It's... elegant.

If you're on-board with the production team's attempt to recreate the show, then you want certain Main Characters (MCs) to be tied in. Having five of them, even if there aren't 5 players, helps that. As does their sometimes having an effect even if they aren't being played.

Since you have 9 MCs and five are going to be MCs, that leaves four left... which is the number of character decks you use.

There's nothing stopping you from using MC character decks if you want instead of going with the "leftovers". Yeah, you're going to get a little more healing if you choose Simon and his character deck. Or a bit more ship repair for Kaylee, or a bit more scanning for Wash. But we look at that as a way to tinker with difficulties.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.