Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the highlights from the WBC 2016 Mage Wars Arena tournament at Sevens Springs Resort, PA.

This year Apprentice play covered 5 days followed by the top 8 players moving to advanced play on Saturday, July 30. We had 64 players attend demonstration sessions over the course of the first 4 days but this includes some players attending multiple sessions to learn a different mage. The qualifying round on Thursday had 19 players with 8 of those returning from last year’s tournament. We also had 7 players attend a spellbook design seminar to learn advanced rules and tips for customizing a mage spellbook.

WBC 2016 graduating Apprentices are listed in rank order:
1. Brad McCandless
2. Jim Newsome
3. David Wolfe
4. Jack Howell
5. Vincent Sinigaglio
6. Danielle Rosenberger
7. Doug Mercer
8. Nick Chepaitis

Core Set Mages selected for the single elimination rounds on Saturday were 4 Wizards, 3 Warlocks and 1 Beastmaster. The final match was a duel between two Warlocks with Nick Chepaitis defeating Jack Howell for the championship.

Congratulations to Nick Chepaitis the WBC 2016 Mage Wars Arena Champion!

Thanks to Arcane Wonders for co-sponsoring the event and donating a wonderful array of prizes for the participants. The game continues to be a big hit in the demonstration area at WBC with each session drawing 10 to 15 players at a time.

For tournament statistics and match by match details with pictures see the link below to the full tournament report.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cl698ih6up2aqpz/WBC%202016%20-%20M...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I love everything related with tournaments. I always thought running MW tournaments would be hard due to length of gameplay. It seems that you made excellent use of the available resources for a wonderful tournament. I hope I am able to open the link to check the details and satisfy my curiosity.

One question is about the top eight pairings. In my mind seed 4 and 8 would have to meet at the semis and therefore could not have played each other in the final. How did that happen?

Top 8
1-8
2-7
3-6
4-5

Semi
1-8 vs 4-5
2-7 vs 3-6

Final
Winners of semi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use random pairings in each round. This may change in future years.

Also, we used a 90-minute time limit to each match, but most matches were finished sooner than that this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.