7 Posts

The Pursuit of Happiness» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Live Fast, Die Young rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb

I had two goals in life: I wanted to live fast, die young and have a great career. Fortunately I was born rich, giving me a head start to success. I spent my teen years socializing over cheap drinks, working on a board game project, and messing around with website design. But right after college, I got serious and landed my first job as President of the country. Inherited wealth and old boys’ club connections can take you far in life!

Being President was really tiring, and I didn’t have much time to pursue my personal interests and projects during that time. I just barely finished my board game (which won the Spiel des Jahres, of course), and otherwise focused my attention on material possessions. I established a garden on the grounds of my mansion, which contained a full-room library as well. I bought an expensive Hawasaki Shinobi motorcycle, and my headphones were Deats by Pre. And of course, I made time to be the Best Man at the wedding of an old college buddy.

Still, I didn’t want to keep up this pace forever, so I retired early to have more time to spend on my leisure pursuits. I hadn’t even reached 50 yet, but it was time to relax! I knew money would be tight, but I didn’t care. After all, my goal was to live fast and die young. I just needed enough to get me through another decade or two. The headphones were the first to go, even before I retired; I was going to be living large now, not staying home and listening to music. My retirement package and pension were enough to cover the rest of my ample expenses through the first little while, anyway.

It was shortly after retirement that I met Sean. He was pretty materialistic, like me, so we made a good pair. We moved rapidly from our first date through to raising a family—I had to tie him down before he realized that I didn’t have quite enough money to support our current lifestyle! I sold the motorcycle soon after our first child was born.

Sean was also an outgoing guy, and he gave me the motivation I needed to pursue one of my longstanding dreams: to be on a reality show! The television audiences found me likeable, which gave me a lot of satisfaction in life. When I look back over the years, being on that reality show is right up there with retiring from my job as President in terms of the life satisfaction it gave me.

Another thing I wanted to do in my retirement was finally finish that website that I’d been working on since I was a teenager. But web design had advanced a lot since then, so I enrolled in a beginner course at a private school to acquire the knowledge I needed. It was really satisfying to see that longstanding project through to an end at last!

After that, I knew my life was basically complete. I had achieved everything I wanted to achieve, and I was almost out of money. I considered bringing everything to a dramatic end: I could sell off my house with its library and garden, and break up with Sean, so that I’d go out with a bang and leave no loose ends hanging. I wanted to make sure I died before my lifelong rival, so that no one could say he’d lived faster or died younger than me. But he had taken up healthy eating and ninja training, so it seemed like he was going to live a good long time anyway. In the end, I decided to enjoy everything I had until the last moment. When I felt like the end was near, I spent my final weekend at the art gallery and then passed away quietly in my sleep. I was only sixty-five years old.

The obituaries praised me for being career-oriented, and everyone said that I had lived fast and died young.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report, Zoe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Stasia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rodney
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very well put together. I can't wait for my first game. How many player have you played with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Zoe,

Thanks for the thematic session report!

These are great. It really shows how you can tell a story (of your life!) after you have finished the game. Awesome!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jason! I've only played with two players so far, but I'm looking forward to trying different player counts.

Thanks Stephen, and thank you for your work in bringing the game into existence!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
James Dean, eat your heart out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.