Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Cockrell
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I’ve finally played all three of the Lord of The Rings: LCG adventures to victory, so I’ve decided to write up my thoughts on these first three basic adventures that come with the core of the system.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

First is “A Passage Through Mirkwood”
1While this first adventure does not offer to much of a threat in complexity, it offers a choice on a fork in the road to take and each direction has a wildly different ending.
2I enjoy teaching the game to new players with this adventure because it offers a taste of the game while not being horrifically unforgiving.
3The only thing that can really stall anyone out are random draws of tough characters such as Hummerthorns. This can be mitigated through the use of “easy-mode” as most of the insta-kill cards are removed.
4All in all, my final thought is that this is a good start for the game but, after a couple plays of both forks in the road, there’s nothing more here.

Next is “Journey Down the Anduin”

1Here is where I, and quite a few other players, become quite confused by the difficulty rating. Journey Down the Anduin is fairly difficult and a bit of luck is needed to get the victory here. The game sets the heat to high off the bat with a troll in the staging area to begin with, so there’s no real room to build one’s board.
2Random draws can be very punishing, my second time playing I got the dreaded double troll, while I should have just re-shuffled and started I decided to see, “how hard could it be?” It was brutal, no love here, just a beatdown. After a few more single-handed tries, I played double-handed with two dwarf decks, it was still a nail-biter but the ending made for a good story.
3While extremely tough, this scenario feels wonderful to beat which is an all round enjoyable experience, unlike the next quest.
4While difficult, this quest can be a true test of your deck-building skills as it is fair, but punishes player error and poor management.

Finally “Escape from Dol Guldur”

1What to say about this adventure, well, first it creates quite an atmosphere and story by locking out a single hero from one player. There are a set of items, potentially guarded by monsters or hidden in a location that must be used to help get into Dul Guldur and get the hero out.
2All of this is very cool on paper, even neat to set up but, the whole first of the game feels cheaply punishing. The game locks out this hero, chosen at random and if the player’s deck isn’t monosphere *which it shouldn’t be after playing and beating Journey…* an entire section of player cards can be locked out of play until the halfway point of the game.
3I believe the issue I have is, this is one of those adventures that is very specific and has some of the cheapest “mean” cards put together. Necromancers Reach, Cavern Guardians *while not crazy, their engagement is only 8?!?! Plus, their shadow effect is to discard your attachments, god help you if you go in undefended because instead of one it discards ALL of them.* and combos such as Driven By Shadow and Ungoliant’s Spawn can immediately take a player out of the game.
4I like the idea of this adventure but, in order to create it, I feel that the creators designed a bit of a dud. With such potent evil combos, which by the way are even in the easy mode, it really beats the joy of a victory right out of a player to want to win against the scenario.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

All together, I enjoyed my adventures in the Core box but, I am excited to see what comes next. While I was not a fan of Escape from Dul Guldur, it had some interesting concepts in it and I want to see where the adventure creators took these ideas.

I hope you enjoyed reading, I’d love to hear your thoughts on these adventures in the comments below! You can also follow along in my gaming blog here -->Gorfinger's 2016-2017 Solo n' Such
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing. I think you'll find your thoughts are similar to many LOTR players. Including using Journey as a bit of baseline deck check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cockrell
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
Thank you for sharing. I think you'll find your thoughts are similar to many LOTR players. Including using Journey as a bit of baseline deck check.

Thank you for the kind comment, Journey was quite hard but I enjoyed it a lot. I felt a nice sense of accomplishment when I scooted across the finish for the victory. I just cannot say the same for Dol Guldur, I really hope that other adventures are as unique but, without that hamstringing of taking away an entire hero from a deck. If someone can do it solo-mono-deck, my hat is off to them, pure insanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dol Guldur is just nuts. It's also not much fun to play, as you said, since it is mostly random. And if you don't think it is bad enough, there is always Nightmare Mode!

Journey Down the Anduin is a great adventure, though. It set the baseline for quite some time and really teached us to not overdo it with Starting Threat, making us appreciate those heroes with a smaller Threat cost as well as those with great stats. These days (i.e. with current decks), however, it is just as easy as Passage Through Mirkwood.

The last few cycles (pretty much everything since Heirs of Númenor) have really shown how different these adventures can get.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"..I got the dreaded double troll "...

Consider this good practise for what awaits you in Conflict at the Carrock! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven may
United States
milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
There is a hell, believe me i've seen it...
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to read something like this. I havent set off on my first adventure yet, hoping to this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorfinger wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:

Thank you for the kind comment, Journey was quite hard but I enjoyed it a lot. I felt a nice sense of accomplishment when I scooted across the finish for the victory. I just cannot say the same for Dol Guldur, I really hope that other adventures are as unique but, without that hamstringing of taking away an entire hero from a deck. If someone can do it solo-mono-deck, my hat is off to them, pure insanity.

Go read ajax013's replays of all the scenarios with the Elrond/Glorfindel deck build. They added Eowyn for the Dol Guldur (and she ended up the captured hero) adventure and got through it easy enough. Compared to my builds anyway
It is an amazing deck. but things like conflict at Carrock and some of the Khazadum adventures seemed to give it challenges, from what I remember.
The replay narrative is in a "story mode" so you get an idea of what cards are played (highlighted etc.) and revealed without it being a card by card replay.
A great read and full of alternative ideas on how to get through the various quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cockrell
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick "Thank You!" to everyone who gave comments and ideas here. It was fantastic to expand ideas for the deckbuilder and see that I fell in line with how the intro scenarios went for others!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.