Hide
20 Posts

Legendary: Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pet Avengers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Weidlich
msg tools
Are the pet avengers heroes? Surprisingly they are special sidekicks and lack the hero tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
--Evil
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular sidekicks also lack the hero tag, and I couldn't find any info in the rule books to answer the question of whether sidekicks count as heroes.

Would also be curious to know the answer, because this question did come up recently.

Intuitively, I would think that sidekicks are heroes, but its not explicit.

--Evil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
do you mix the pet avengers into the reg sidekicks, or is it a completely different deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a combined Sidekick deck that is now placed face-down and when the Sidekick card gets played it goes on the bottom of the deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I remembered it saying somewhere that sidekicks were Heroes, but I cant remember where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Weidlich
msg tools
Upon further review, they should be heroes. Regular sidekicks are heroes. The rule sheet says they count for their hero class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is, what is each pet's hero name?

Following theme, the hero name is the pet's individual name.

Following typical card layout, "Special Sidekick" is the hero name of every pet and the pet's actual name is the card name.

This matters for Patriot. If you have more than one different special sidekick, do they all count for +1 hero together or does each different pet count on its own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with Patriot you'd get +1 if you had any regular sidekicks and +1 if you had any special side-kicks, as technically the smaller font text is the cards' Hero Name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bratty wrote:
My question is, what is each pet's hero name?

Following theme, the hero name is the pet's individual name.

Following typical card layout, "Special Sidekick" is the hero name of every pet and the pet's actual name is the card name.

This matters for Patriot. If you have more than one different special sidekick, do they all count for +1 hero together or does each different pet count on its own?

I think a lot of this game comes down to their design teams going "Huh....never thought about that..." which is a shame, because this game could go from an 8 in quality to a 10 if they spent just a LITTLE more time/effort on hammering out the kinks.

I played it as each Special Sidekick having it's own Hero Name. Lockjaw just isn't the same hero as Throg, no matter how the card is laid out. "Special Sidekick" is not a name. It sounds like someone that works with http://www.writeups.org/wp-content/uploads/Handi-Man-Living-....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
evilempire22 wrote:
Regular sidekicks also lack the hero tag, and I couldn't find any info in the rule books to answer the question of whether sidekicks count as heroes.

Would also be curious to know the answer, because this question did come up recently.

--Evil

I thought that Regular Sidekicks ARE heroes.

They say "Hero" underneath their name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:
I think a lot of this game comes down to their design teams going "Huh....never thought about that..." which is a shame, because this game could go from an 8 in quality to a 10 if they spent just a LITTLE more time/effort on hammering out the kinks.

I agree. I obviously have no inside knowledge, but if I had to bet, I'd say the play-testing is something of a closed-loop system in that the play-testers are either the same people designing the cards or those closely involved with them rather than a "blind" testing where the play-testers see the cards from a cold start and fresh eyes to provide input. The first way is fine for the major "muscle movements" and some initial tweeks, but the latter tends to get and give more granularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:

With the insane number of possible card interactions, which increase with every expansion, that this game has it seems a little unreasonable to think that the design team is going to know all of them. There is always going to be a few interactions that slip through play-testing no matter how much time and effort they put into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AHewlett wrote:
With the insane number of possible card interactions, which increase with every expansion, that this game has it seems a little unreasonable to think that the design team is going to know all of them. There is always going to be a few interactions that slip through play-testing no matter how much time and effort they put into it.

Expecting them to have tested every possible card combinations might be a bit unreasonable, yeah. But this is a question about new cards from the same just-released set and some of those cards are intended to be mixed into a stack that is available in every single game. They had to have tested playing with Patriot in a game with pet Avengers. They had to have encountered this exact interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
--Evil
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
evilempire22 wrote:

--Evil

I thought that Regular Sidekicks ARE heroes.

They say "Hero" underneath their name.

Ya, sorry, I didn't have an OG Sidekick in front of me when I posted that, but I knew for sure the new pet Sidekicks didn't say hero since the question came up that day.

--Evil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bratty wrote:
AHewlett wrote:

Expecting them to have tested every possible card combinations might be a bit unreasonable, yeah. But this is a question about new cards from the same just-released set and some of those cards are intended to be mixed into a stack that is available in every single game. They had to have tested playing with Patriot in a game with pet Avengers. They had to have encountered this exact interaction.

Yes, and much as I love this expansion and am looking forward to playing it more, I feel like there's already been quite a few fairly obvious card interactions that have left people puzzled:
-this one
-how divided cards interact with schemes Reveal Heroes Secret Identities and Avengers vs X-Men
-these aren't even card interactions but lots of people have been confused by Authoritarian Iron Man's Master Strike and the Imprison Unregistered Superhumans Scheme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Dobmeyer
msg tools
We played one of the old schemes (it escapes me right now) where you can only have so many non-gray heroes be KO'd before you lose. We were wondering if the Pet Sidekicks counted toward this count since regular sidekicks are "gray" but are Pet Sidekicks "heroes"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ToddAtWSU wrote:
We played one of the old schemes (it escapes me right now) where you can only have so many non-gray heroes be KO'd before you lose. We were wondering if the Pet Sidekicks counted toward this count since regular sidekicks are "gray" but are Pet Sidekicks "heroes"?

I would count them. Seems to be what was intended.

Secret Avengers Captain America's cards refer to "each Sidekick and other Avengers Hero", which kind of implies that the Pet Avengers do count as Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Gray" is usually equivalent to "Has no Class symbol".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carnilius IV
msg tools
mb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

Secret Avengers Captain America's cards refer to "each Sidekick and other Avengers Hero", which kind of implies that the Pet Avengers do count as Heroes.

"other" Avengers Hero in this case refers to Avengers that are not the card you just played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carnilius wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

"other" Avengers Hero in this case refers to Avengers that are not the card you just played.

True, but what our green friend is saying is that the Pet Avengers are Sidekicks (Special ones, at that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.