The Grizzled» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discard pile, can we look at it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

It is not specified in the rules if we can look at the discard pile freely. This is very useful when you want to make a speech.

Can we look at it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the same here but didn't really get an answer: Discarded Cards - Open Information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is none of the designer of the game who could answer this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McClure
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose I'd like an answer to this one as well.

The rules state in the clarification section that when a card is discarded, it is "removed from the game, for the remainder of the game." If I put my rules lawyer cap on, I would argue that if a card is removed from the game you shouldn't be able to look back at it. Now, maybe you can collectively discuss how many of 'X' cards everyone thinks was discarded, but I'd worry that someone might quasi-cross board if they said something like, "No, there weren't THAT many BULLETS. Trust me. BULLETS is a card that hasn't come up too often. BULLETS, I say!"

Of course, this whole "cards removed from the game should not be looked at" theory of mine might be complicated by rules in the expansion. There is a card in that expansion that requires you to shuffle the discarded cards and put three back in the deck, which implies that they aren't totally removed from the game forever. However, would you be allowed to look at the discard pile before and after you do this and then determine which ones went back? That seems cheaty (cheat-ish?) to me.

I realize this discussion might fit better in the expansion's rules forum, but I'm trying to use the expansion as a window into the intentions for the original game's design. I think it's an important question, since knowing what was played before can have a huge impact on your speeches later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.