Dominion: Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: Developing a Villa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrin Ball
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
When playing Develop and gaining a Villa, does the Villa go into your hand superseding the Develop card?

It seems so because Villa already supersedes the base Dominion rules which put it in your discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I believe a Villa gained from Develop would go into your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
The Orange Mailman wrote:
When playing Develop and gaining a Villa, does the Villa go into your hand superseding the Develop card?

It seems so because Villa already supersedes the base Dominion rules which put it in your discard pile.

Villa triggers after you gain the card. Develop gains the card directly to the top of your deck. You gain two cards with Develop; but if Villa is the first card gained for Develop, the second card doesn't get a chance to cover it up, Villa triggers before that. So (technically) Villa goes to the top of your deck and from there moves to your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Ball
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Donald- Thanks for the reply. I love the game and run Dominion Tournaments.

That seems like an odd ruling that you would be able to circumvent the text on Villa in a case where you gain 2 cards from Develop. There may be a reason why you don't want it to go in your hand, so you place Villa on the deck first, then (if you trashed a Silver) a 2 cost card next. If Courtyard is in play you just set up your next turn. I see your point that you follow the entire text on Develop first in what happens when you gain it, then follow the text on Villa.

What about Watchtower? If you reveal a Watchtower, do you follow that text, put it on your deck (if that's your choice), then follow the Villa text and put it in your hand? The difference here is that they both say "When you gain this..." I'm not trying to split hairs, just trying to get a feel for the intent of the Villa text. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
That seems like an odd ruling that you would be able to circumvent the text on Villa in a case where you gain 2 cards from Develop. There may be a reason why you don't want it to go in your hand, so you place Villa on the deck first, then (if you trashed a Silver) a 2 cost card next. If Courtyard is in play you just set up your next turn. I see your point that you follow the entire text on Develop first in what happens when you gain it, then follow the text on Villa.

I was actually pointing out that the order that you gain cards for Develop *doesn't* matter here. It doesn't matter, it's the same either way. I was just being thorough.

You don't follow the entire text for Develop first; as soon as you gain a card, you immediately deal with things that happen when that card is gained.

What about Watchtower? If you reveal a Watchtower, do you follow that text, put it on your deck (if that's your choice), then follow the Villa text and put it in your hand? The difference here is that they both say "When you gain this..." I'm not trying to split hairs, just trying to get a feel for the intent of the Villa text. Thanks again.

If you reveal a Watchtower to put Villa on your deck (prior to resolving Villa's when-gain ability), Villa will lose track of where it is and be unable to put itself into your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
donaldx wrote:
If you reveal a Watchtower to put Villa on your deck (prior to resolving Villa's when-gain ability), Villa will lose track of where it is and be unable to put itself into your hand.

Just for the sake of completeness, am I correct that you could alternatively resolve Villa's when-gain first and react with Watchtower second, but that way round the Watchtower would lose track of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
clivej wrote:
donaldx wrote:

Just for the sake of completeness, am I correct that you could alternatively resolve Villa's when-gain first and react with Watchtower second, but that way round the Watchtower would lose track of it?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Ball
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Okay, I reread your post and understand (I hope) the intent. Villa will go into your hand and "the second card does NOT get a chance to cover it up."

This expansion is really challenging as far as rulings go. Are there other circumstances where Villa's destination would be challenged? I'm thinking of a situation where someone is giving you a Villa (via Swindler) and you may want to trash it with Watchtower.

Also, if you reveal a Trader when gaining a Villa, will the Silver go into your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you reveal a Trader when gaining a Villa, will the Silver go into your hand?

No. When you gain a Silver by revealing Trader, the Silver goes to your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.