Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some cards, like Protected Valley, which dictate placement of a greenery tile and also an increase in oxygen by 1 step.

So, does this card increase both oxygen and a player's TR by 2 then (1 for the greenery tile bumping oxygen a step and 1 for the text oxygen step increase)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The icons tell you to place the greenery, and the text reminds you that that it also means to raise oxygen (some people tend to forget). So this card increases oxygen and your TR by 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac Fryxelius wrote:
The icons tell you to place the greenery, and the text reminds you that that it also means to raise oxygen (some people tend to forget). So this card increases oxygen and your TR by 1.

That's really confusing - greenery has an intrinsic oxygen increase (as noted on the counter), then having additional text to raise the oxygen by 1 is not only redundant, it's misleading.

Thanks for the clarification Isaac, we're absolutely loving the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Isaac Fryxelius wrote:

That's really confusing - greenery has an intrinsic oxygen increase (as noted on the counter), then having additional text to raise the oxygen by 1 is not only redundant, it's misleading.

Thanks for the clarification Isaac, we're absolutely loving the game!

I think the rulebook specifically says the text on the cards is there to clarify the icons for new players, not to provide instructions in addition to the icons. The only exception is when an icon has an asterisk, which means there is text on the card to explain the special or variant meaning of that icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, yeah I saw that in the rules but there are other cards that don't provide similar text (which led to my question as this particular card has special placement criteria).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Steve, I don't know if this is answering your question, but on all cards where a greenery icon is presented, it says in the card text to raise oxygen. Consistently. Saying this, we think, is not the same as saying you should raise your TR when raising a global parameter, which I suppose you ment by 'not providing similar text on other cards'
... I remember having debates over this during beta testing... man, these things could be dissected for hours...
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It does answer the question, all clear now - thank you Isaac.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.