Subject: Variant: Promotion Action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game quite a few times now and I think the one thing we keep missing is an option for players to promote cards even if they didn't manage to buy the cards that allow them to promote.

I'm considering the following optional rule which would be an additional action on every player board:

Pay X Influence where X is equal to 1 + the purchase cost of a card in your hand > Promote that card. Starter Cards may not be promoted.

It dilutes the value of promotion cards somewhat, but it allows for more options to really get into crafting a deck.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hines
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
I'm afraid the DEFLECTOR Shield is..... Operational!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good house rule. I just played again last night and got plenty of promote cards, but no spies. So I'm afraid it will never be a really balanced game for actions Love the game, but would like to see variants where you can pay a fixed price to do any action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ketchup61925 wrote:
Sounds like a good house rule. I just played again last night and got plenty of promote cards, but no spies. So I'm afraid it will never be a really balanced game for actions Love the game, but would like to see variants where you can pay a fixed price to do any action.

If I were to house rule placing a spy, I would say it would cost 3 Influence, 2 Power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lee
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried a generic promotion action in design, where you would spend 3 influence to promote a card in your hand. Unfortunately, it made it too easy to promote cards for points at the end of the game. For that rule to work, we would have needed to reduce the promote VP reward on all the cards, which would have weakened ambition's core strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know. I assumed as much since it's only available through card actions, but I thought I'd throw it out there if anyone wanted to give it a try. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wallin
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Lee wrote:
We tried a generic promotion action in design, where you would spend 3 influence to promote a card in your hand. Unfortunately, it made it too easy to promote cards for points at the end of the game. For that rule to work, we would have needed to reduce the promote VP reward on all the cards, which would have weakened ambition's core strategy.

yeah, figures that you would have tried many things during development. the result is amazing! i'm still curious though: did you try a variant where a player could spend a fixed fee to devour (culling, but without the inner circle bonus) a card from their hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lee
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Early in design, we messed around with an idea that the starter minions could be returned to a supply when you recruited a minion to represent training. Mechanically, it was complicated and narratively it was weird to promote a house guard into a mind flayer.

We didn't try a core devour action. We were very hesitant to have deck thinning be too easy because it can quickly become a degenerate strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.