Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Episode 6 (Our Mrs. Reynolds) has an enemy shipped called the Scrap Shop.
It has an Ongoing ability that requires you to, when you fight it, reveal the top card of your deck (or top 2 if you are Jayne), but then it says if a card you discarded has at least 1 printed [Fight/Attack], defeat Scrap Shop, Otherwise it survives.

It was my understanding that when you Revealed a card from your deck, you then replaced it on top of your deck afterward. Is that not the case in this game? Are you always supposed to discard those revealed cards? Or is this a typo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McPherson
United States
Ft. Wainwright
ALASKA
flag msg tools
I'll play
badge
Vigilo Confido
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the same episode and had the same question. I couldn't find a ruling in the book that covers this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
personally, I think I'm going to treat the "discarded" wording as a misprint, and replace it/them to the top of the deck after checking for the Attack.

In any case, the text could definitely have been phrased better.

And I don't think it makes that big of a difference in the overall game whether that card is replaced (and then drawn at the end of your turn) or discarded (either way you end up drawing the same amount of cards at the end of your turn)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McPherson
United States
Ft. Wainwright
ALASKA
flag msg tools
I'll play
badge
Vigilo Confido
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I've been playing it. In most games I've played "Reveal" means to look at it and put it back where it was whereas "Discard" means to discard it and if a game intends you to discard after revealing it will mention it on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Probst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
personally, I think I'm going to treat the "discarded" wording as a misprint, and replace it/them to the top of the deck after checking for the Attack.

In any case, the text could definitely have been phrased better.

And I don't think it makes that big of a difference in the overall game whether that card is replaced (and then drawn at the end of your turn) or discarded (either way you end up drawing the same amount of cards at the end of your turn)

We treated it as reveal being the misprint, and discard being the appropriate action. The reason is that if you only reveal the card and put it back, then even if you have enough fight to fight the scrap shop multiple times, you cannot kill it because you will always reveal the same card. However, if you discard the card, then each attempt to fight it gives another shot to kill the scrap shop.

Effectively, revealing it limits you to fighting it once per turn (until or unless you draw cards between fight attempts), and if that was their goal, they could have just added the language once per turn like they do with some of the other cards like this (flying through the canyon, for example). So discarding makes more gameplay sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

The "reveal" is a misprint. It should say "discard the top card of your deck".

I apologize for the confusion.

Thank you,
Danny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Slathe wrote:
We treated it as reveal being the misprint, and discard being the appropriate action. The reason is that if you only reveal the card and put it back, then even if you have enough fight to fight the scrap shop multiple times, you cannot kill it because you will always reveal the same card. However, if you discard the card, then each attempt to fight it gives another shot to kill the scrap shop.

I didn't think about that aspect of it.
Yes, discarding makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
One further question about this card (and other similar ones).
When it refers to "printed" [Attack], does that only refer to the amount of [Attack] that the card generates?

For instance, Book's card "That's No Shepherd" doesn't generate any [Attack] by itself, but it does have the [Attack] symbol on the card, since it has an Activate ability that reduces the amount of [Attack] needed to fight enemies that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
One further question about this card (and other similar ones).
When it refers to "printed" [Attack], does that only refer to the amount of [Attack] that the card generates?

For instance, Book's card "That's No Shepherd" doesn't generate any [Attack] by itself, but it does have the [Attack] symbol on the card, since it has an Activate ability that reduces the amount of [Attack] needed to fight enemies that turn.

"Printed [Attack]" refers to the number printed inside the large Attack symbol on the card. It does not count any bonuses that would apply to that card either from an outside effect or from itself.

For example, No Power In the 'Verse Can Stop Me has a printed Attack of 2 whether or not you've played a card with the Strength symbol already this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Slathe wrote:
Effectively, revealing it limits you to fighting it once per turn (until or unless you draw cards between fight attempts), and if that was their goal, they could have just added the language once per turn like they do with some of the other cards like this (flying through the canyon, for example). So discarding makes more gameplay sense.

We've played through the episode a couple of times, and you're lucky if you can fight it once a turn. It's an A scenario, which only has 12 cards. So if you're lucky, you'll have 17 or so turns to deal with it. You probably won't. If it gets to the Combat Zone early, it's going to keep plinking Serenity once per turn. And then all of your Recruit resources will be going to repair the ship.

Unless you have Jayne and can use his Talent for +3 Cbt, good luck trying to get that much combat. And it's not just getting the combat, but having the next card on top of your deck being Cbt as well.

The Kaylee card that lets you put the next card you recruit on top of your deck is really really helpful. Given you only start with 5 Misbehavins' out of 12 cards (and you probably used some of those to generate your 3 Cbt to fight the Scrap Shop), it takes a fair amount of doin' to defeat the SS.

Admittedly, Jayne is a recommended Main Character and Kaylee is a supporting character. But in our experience you still need a lot of luck to pull it off. You really have to go in knowing what you need to do, and getting the cards to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
We've played through the episode a couple of times, and you're lucky if you can fight it once a turn... it takes a fair amount of doin' to defeat the SS.

You really have to go in knowing what you need to do, and getting the cards to do it.

We just took a shot at this scenario and were absolutely crushed. We used the recommended characters (4-player) - with free buy round, per the rules - and were brutally mown down halfway through. Simon would have been a big help, for starters, since crew death was a major problem.

This was our worst loss ever in the history of Legendary, except possibly for a few Legendary: Villains schemes.

Three-player Legendary seems to be the most balanced, so we might try that next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.