Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when a specified Regular Zed is supposed to get a marker and it already has a marker?

Given the design of the new markers for zed modifications like Zeds Leader, Stench, and Tough, it seems that only a single marker can apply to any given unit. So I'm assuming they don't stack. The components imply as much. But does a new marker replace an existing marker? Or do you then find the next qualifying Regular Zed without a marker? And if there isn't one, does the marker simply not take effect?

My initial interpretation was that a Regular Zed with a Stench marker is no longer a Regular Zed, that it is now a "Stench Zed", or some such thing. But the rules don't support that. The definition of Regular Zed seems to still apply to a Zeds Leader, Stench Zed, Tough Zed and so on. As per page 8, the term Regular Zed only differentiates between three playing pieces: Super Zeds, Disease Spreaders, and Regular Zeds. From that, I can infer that a zed with a Zeds Leader, Stench, or Tough marker is still a Regular Zed. Therefore, it is eligible for selection when I'm instructed to place a marker on a Regular Zed.

Thematically, well, zombies, so who knows. But I can imagine the idea is that zeds units can spontaneously evolve into new types. What was previously a Regular Zed with no special properties is now a Tough Zed that can shrug off damage. Why then can't it become a Stench Zed instead? Or, even worse, a Tough Stench Zed?

So what happens when a specified Regular Zed is supposed to get a marker and it already has a marker? If I've missed anything, let me know. Mainly I'm curious to hear an official ruling on this.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

I always follow the KISS principle.

In this case:
Whenever an attribute is to be assigned to a Zeds unit, follow the rules to identify which one it will be. If there is a "Player's choice", I replace it with "apply a random procedure assigning equal chance to each candidate".
If it happens that a Zeds unit gets a second attribute, so be it. Why can't the "Stenchy" unit not also be "Toxic"? It would just increase its value as a prime target for the defenders.

The same is true for Civilian units (I call them militia). The only difference: If there is a "Player's choice", grab it. The guys are on your side, aren't they. Your decision to create a super-dooper militia or distribute those bonus elements amongst your brave guys.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is in the rules but why shouldn't a Zeds unit get a second marker.

I do agree with the above comments about player's choice but can't see why it wouldn't be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't clarified in the rules. However, the tokens can be stacked on top on one of another .. I played by creating a real nasty monster mutant Zombie-Unit. And usually prefer to hide from them ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular Zeds can get multiple markers, which is why those markers fit together physically.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hallenbeck
msg tools
Alan Emrich wrote:
Regular Zeds can get multiple markers, which is why those markers fit together physically.

Alan Emrich

So, can "both" Regular Zombies "and" Civilian Units (Regular and Heroic) get multiple markers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, can "both" Regular Zombies "and" Civilian Units (Regular and Heroic) get multiple markers?

Sure, why not?

Again, that's why they fit together physically.

I've managed to get that 4 Civilians units pumped up pretty in games past (last time that happened though, I drew consecutive BRAINS! cards that finished them off most brutally).

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.