Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
These are spoilers through the end of August - please do not reveal anything past August as I have not played beyond that yet! I just want to make sure I am playing correctly and am not "cheating."

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The wording of the Search rule is a little ambiguous. It doesn't say you HAVE to discard a card if you take the action, just that discarding cards advances your search.

Can you discard NO cards, but use the binoculars?
Can you discard an irrelevant card (not the color of your city), and then use the binoculars?

Has the designer or publisher addressed this anywhere?

EDIT: it turns out that these are only spoilers through end-of-July, not August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Binoculars question
JohnnyDollar wrote:
These are spoilers through the end of August - please do not reveal anything past August as I have not played beyond that yet! I just want to make sure I am playing correctly and am not "cheating."

The wording of the Search rule is a little ambiguous. It doesn't say you HAVE to discard a card if you take the action, just that discarding cards advances your search.

Can you discard an irrelevant card (not the color of your city), and then use the binoculars?

The designer has answered, and you must discard a card that advances the search in order to use the search action (and subsequently the binoculars.) Look through the forums for the FAQ or the infrequently asked questions to find the original answer. I'm not sure where it is specifically at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

The designer has answered, and you must discard a card that advances the search in order to use the search action (and subsequently the binoculars.) Look through the forums for the FAQ or the infrequently asked questions to find the original answer. I'm not sure where it is specifically at the moment.

Thanks, I laboriously went through the rules pages searching for the term
"binocular"
in the subjects, but didn't find anything, so that's why I posted. Good to know one of the designers has answered the question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you mind updating the subject? I have subscribed to this game and not yet arrived in August. Now i know this B******** just by looking at the subject line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Agreed about editing the subject line to avoid spoilers!

This is the infrequently asked questions I created some time ago, which includes some of Matt Leacock's responses about this. They cover almost all the points here and allude to others.

I seem to remember there was some other thread which discussed the issue more specifically, but can't now find it. Alas, searching subject lines can't help, because everyone else has avoided spoilers.

Speaking of which, be careful about which spoiler boxes you open in my IAQ thread. People have been good at labelling everything correctly, but there is stuff in there for months past where OP has reached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules question
Sorry, I have changed it to the generic "rules question".
With the side effect of the next person trying to figure out this ambiguously written rule will search subjects for
binoculars
and not finding anything will just post the question again whistle The "hidden FAQ" thread is very well organized, I'm surprised it didn't include this answer in the relevant month. I might suggest it.

(By the way, I found a relevant thread that touched on the topic, but the subject is
search
question, 2nd page of the rules, why aren't you guys on that guys case - that's more of a spoiler than the term I used )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
why aren't you guys on that guys case - that's more of a spoiler than the term I used :p)

Um.

You know the way your subject line contained a spoiler, we pointed it out and you fixed it?

The reason you can't find previous threads I've been on the case of is that they have also been fixed. :-p

For example, this (some unprotected October spoilers in other comments) and this (also October spoilers).

...though I've also just spotted this thread (start of August spoilers) where I asked the OP to fix their subject line and they never did. It also appears I missed (package 6 spoilers) a couple (also package 6 spoilers).

I do try, though. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
why aren't you guys on that guys case - that's more of a spoiler than the term I used )

Um.

You know the way your subject line contained a spoiler, we pointed it out and you fixed it?

The reason you can't find previous threads I've been on the case of is that they have also been fixed. :-p

For example, this (some unprotected October spoilers in other comments) and this (also October spoilers).

...though I've also just spotted this thread (start of August spoilers) where I asked the OP to fix their subject line and they never did. It also appears I missed (package 6 spoilers) a couple (also package 6 spoilers).

I do try, though. (-8

No worries, thanks for trying to minimize spoilers!
If something isn't covered in that main hidden FAQ thread, it becomes very hard to search the rules the way I do in other games on BGG. I usually try to search before I post, b/c people on BGG tend to get so angry when the same rule question is re-posted multiple times.

Anyway I've added this as a suggestion to add to the main hidden FAQ thread, but, I have no idea if that FAQ is still being updated, b/c it hasn't been edited in 5+ months...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
That most recent update happened because I GeekMailed the author, and it was to correct an answer that later clarification from Matt Leacock revealed was actually wrong, rather than to add more stuff.

I confess I was partly motivated to make my infrequently-asked questions by the apparent stagnation of the main FAQ, as well as by some of us having more obscure corner-case questions to ask.

Maybe it's time for someone to volunteer to take it over and see if the original author is willing. I don't think I have sufficient energy personally for such a commitment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents :

How about.. "Rules questions ([early/mid] August spoiler)" such that those who want August spoilers will find them?

I also have a question unrelated to this post:

How can we get those FAQ / IFAQ to the "hot thread"? I tried thumb-up but didn't work that well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
That most recent update happened because I GeekMailed the author, and it was to correct an answer that later clarification from Matt Leacock revealed was actually wrong, rather than to add more stuff.

I confess I was partly motivated to make my infrequently-asked questions by the apparent stagnation of the main FAQ, as well as by some of us having more obscure corner-case questions to ask.

Maybe it's time for someone to volunteer to take it over and see if the original author is willing. I don't think I have sufficient energy personally for such a commitment...

How about a wiki? Then it doesn't fall on only one person's shoulders.
Some games have them, like Eclipse:
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Eclipse_FAQ
Twilight Imperium
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Twilight_Imperium_FAQ
etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:
My 2 cents :

How about.. "Rules questions ([early/mid] August spoiler)" such that those who want August spoilers will find them?

That usually works... but in my case, I didn't remember when
binoculars
appeared, it was just
equipment
on a city card. I just knew I had played to August.
Looking at the other questions/answers etc, it looks like it came out in July, so it could've been "July spoiler"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe you can use spoiler tags in the wiki, so it would be really tough to contain information carefully.

I'd be willing to spend some effort consolidating all the questions into one thread if there's enough demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, turns out there are FAQ wikis for a ton of games!

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/List_of_game_FAQs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
I don't believe you can use spoiler tags in the wiki, so it would be really tough to contain information carefully.

Bummer! That would probably not work then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
That usually works... but in my case, I didn't remember when [REDACTED] appeared.

Aha! You need the timeline article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
That usually works... but in my case, I didn't remember when [REDACTED] appeared.

Aha! You need the timeline article.

Nice! Maybe that can go in the new and improved FAQ

Although, I would put the win bonuses in a spoiler-within-a-spoiler. Because if you lose twice in a month you don't reveal the win bonus, and some people might prefer to leave it a secret for a future play-through rather than reveal what the bonus would've been. I think that's the only "inter-campaign" spoiler potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:

I also have a question unrelated to this post:

How can we get those FAQ / IFAQ to the "hot thread"? I tried thumb-up but didn't work that well.

I'm not sure what you're asking? What is the "hot thread"?

If you go to Pandemic Legacy -> Forums and click Top (I think old interface called that "Hot"), which sorts by thumbs, the hidden FAQ is at the top with 242 thumbs. I think by default it sorts by Recent, so you have to click Top to resort it.

The IFAQ is only 9 thumbs (well, 10 after mine now whistle).

You thumbing it up will add one thumb for the Top/Hot sorting, but that's about all you can do - other than pointing people to it if they have questions, so they would thumb it too. I think the hidden FAQ is about as "Hot" as it can get though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.