SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've read many threads where people complaint about the scoring system of winter tiles (WT hereafter). So, I thought about these simple variants:

Variant idea #1: As part of the game setup, randomly pick 2 WT per player and form a stack. During the whole game those tiles are public information (e.g. Any player may take the stack and look at the tiles anytime).

Variant idea #2: If you think that hidden information is an important feature of the game, then make the stack with just 1 WT per player, and also give 2 facedown WT to each player. At the beginning of winter round, the bidding area will be composed of the public WT + up to ONE private WT per player.
___

Reasoning behind these ideas: Give players more control over the final scoring bonuses, allowing for more strategical during-game decisions by reducing randomness.

Any feedback will be very appreciated. Please let me know what do you think. Thanks meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FinrondFelagund wrote:
Hi,

I've read many threads where people complaint about the scoring system of winter tiles (WT hereafter). So, I thought about these simple variants:

Variant idea #1: As part of the game setup, randomly pick 2 WT per player and form a stack. During the whole game those tiles are public information (e.g. Any player may take the stack and look at the tiles anytime).

Variant idea #2: If you think that hidden information is an important feature of the game, then make the stack with just 1 WT per player, and also give 2 facedown WT to each player. At the beginning of winter round, the bidding area will be composed of the public WT + up to ONE private WT per player.
___

Reasoning behind these ideas: Give players more control over the final scoring bonuses, allowing for more strategical during-game decisions by reducing randomness.

Any feedback will be very appreciated. Please let me know what do you think. Thanks meeple

Hidden information is very important to KF as a whole... the game is meant to be tactical and reactive in nature.
Without having all the hidden information, KF boils down to who has the most meeple bidding power, making some tiles worth much more than others (meeple producers and color changers)... With hidden information, all tiles have mostly equal value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
FinrondFelagund wrote:
Hi,

I've read many threads where people complaint about the scoring system of winter tiles

Where?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
FinrondFelagund wrote:
Hi,

I've read many threads where people complaint about the scoring system of winter tiles

Where?!

Of course here at BGG, just search the forums

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
Without having all the hidden information, KF boils down to who has the most meeple bidding power, making some tiles worth much more than others (meeple producers and color changers)... With hidden information, all tiles have mostly equal value.

Agree, but I proposed 2 different variants...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FinrondFelagund wrote:
sao123 wrote:

Agree, but I proposed 2 different variants...

both of your variants reveal information to the individuals.
As I already stated, any known information changes the power level of the tiles from equal to unequal.

The only way known information could work is if there was a variant to include ALL the tiles so that their weighted power remains equal (only the full symmetry can restore it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.