Arcadia Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick Clarification on the +1 for Parrying Blade (and others) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evans

Fort Myers
Florida
msg tools
Okay, weapons such as the Parrying Blade have a +1 to your defense roll.

Question, does this add +1 to every defense roll you take or only when you are using the Parrying Blade to attack.

Also, if the Parrying Blade is exhausted, do you still get the +1?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AllaboutJack wrote:

Question, does this add +1 to every defense roll you take or only when you are using the Parrying Blade to attack.

Every defense roll

AllaboutJack wrote:

Also, if the Parrying Blade is exhausted, do you still get the +1?

Yes, you still get the +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Rick said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evans

Fort Myers
Florida
msg tools
Thanks guys. I thought it was that, but needed some clarification for other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The general (unwritten) rule is that icons on items like the "+1 die" and "+1 reroll" you get all the time as long as that item is equipped, where as special effects and abilities that are written on the items in text are only available when that specific item is being used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
The general (unwritten) rule is that icons on items like the "+1 die" and "+1 reroll" you get all the time as long as that item is equipped, where as special effects and abilities that are written on the items in text are only available when that specific item is being used.

This is what I gleaned from the rules as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Text" special effects are card specific and can only be used with the card they are found on:

Rulebook Page 26:
"While some Attack cards offer only a simple attack, many have some form of special effect listed which enhances their attack. This effect is only triggered when the card is used and the parameters stated in it are met."

"Icon" special effects (+X Defense, +X Life, +X Re-roll) are not card specific and apply to the character in whole. They are always on and always available regardless what weapon is being used or whether the card they are on is exhausted. (While not being card specific the bonus is however lost if the card is lost.)

Rulebook Page 26:
"Extra Defense is always added to the Hero’s Defense, even if the card that contains it is exhausted."

"It doesn’t matter whether the card is exhausted or not. This is his total Life:"

Rulebook Page 27:
"All of a Hero’s cards with Reroll icons always add to his Reroll pool, whether they are exhausted or not."

You do have to parse a little bit to get this info because in the one case they tell you that all of these are special effects and in the other case they indicate that text effects are handled differently than icon effects. That parsing is the unwritten part that veterans grasp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Carcking wrote:
"Text" special effects are card specific and can only be used with the card they are found on:

Rulebook Page 26:
"While some Attack cards offer only a simple attack, many have some form of special effect listed which enhances their attack. This effect is only triggered when the card is used and the parameters stated in it are met."

"Icon" special effects (+X Defense, +X Life, +X Re-roll) are not card specific and apply to the character in whole. They are always on and always available regardless what weapon is being used or whether the card they are on is exhausted. (While not being card specific the bonus is however lost if the card is lost.)

Rulebook Page 26:
"Extra Defense is always added to the Hero’s Defense, even if the card that contains it is exhausted."

"It doesn’t matter whether the card is exhausted or not. This is his total Life:"

Rulebook Page 27:
"All of a Hero’s cards with Reroll icons always add to his Reroll pool, whether they are exhausted or not."

You do have to parse a little bit to get this info because in the one case they tell you that all of these are special effects and in the other case they indicate that text effects are handled differently than icon effects. That parsing is the unwritten part that veterans grasp.

New player here. I am having trouble understanding the bonus rules.

For example, if I have a Captains blade when can I use the +1 defense and +1 reroll? Can the reroll be applied to defense? Applied if using another weapon?

The Nova Bolt, which has text, says if you roll a crit you can target an additional enemy. I assume you have to be using this weapon? You would not get this bonus by having this equipped and using another weapon, correct?

Life Drain, again the healing would only apply if you hit with this weapon, correct?

Thanks in advance! The rules are not very clear on when bonuses can be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the rules are clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
Bghead8che wrote:
Carcking wrote:

Rulebook Page 26:

Rulebook Page 26:

Rulebook Page 27:

New player here. I am having trouble understanding the bonus rules.

For example, if I have a Captains blade when can I use the +1 defense and +1 reroll? Can the reroll be applied to defense? Applied if using another weapon?

The Nova Bolt, which has text, says if you roll a crit you can target an additional enemy. I assume you have to be using this weapon? You would not get this bonus by having this equipped and using another weapon, correct?

Life Drain, again the healing would only apply if you hit with this weapon, correct?

Thanks in advance! The rules are not very clear on when bonuses can be used.

Yes you can use the rerolls in attacking and defence

Only if you use that weapon you can use the ability

Same for life drain only the weapon that has that ability and you use it would heal you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.