Arcadia Quest» Forums » General

Subject: How many hours will 2 straight games take? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking of running a campaign and since we don't want it to run very long, we're thinking of running 2 games every time we meet up.

How many hours do you think that will take? Taking into the fact zero rules familiarity and general game fatigue?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-4 hours...

1-2 hours per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
2-4 hours...

1-2 hours per game.

For 4 players? 2 hours is probably unlikely for 2 games. I'd push this to 3-5 hours. Easy games will likely not take much time to play. I think you can do it in 60 minutes plus setup time. Hard levels can be much longer. We played 1 hard and 1 easy and it was about 5 hours with setup, bathroom breaks, campaign resolution, and some intense AP by some (mostly 1) player.

Maybe you can get 2 games done in 2 hours if you played 2 easy levels and with players who don't take much time. Or if you play with less than 4 players.

But I really wouldn't expect anything less than 3... and I think 2 games can easily hit 5 hours.

Oh.. and the game isn't difficult, but it's also not super intuitive (guard reactions, payback, etc.). I'd expect lots of rules referencing your first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do most people play really slowly or something? I have yet to have an Arcadia Quest game go over an hour, even with new players involved and having to explain things. we usually run 45 min or so on th elong side for some scenarios with 4 players.

2-3 hours is a very reasonable estimate for 2 games. To be honest, it takes longer to set the board up for some scenarios than it does to actually play through them.

I don't think anyone in our play group, myself included, would enjoy the game nearly as much it it was taking 2+ hours per game. There are much heavier and in depth games that we could be playing in that amount of time. We play AQ a lot of the time because it is such a fast and fun game that we can get in several games in a night. We played through the entire campaign with a couple new people in one sitting one night because they were having so much fun and that took less than 6 hours total including setups and explaining the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is wise to take set up time between games into consideration. I'd say, for 2 back-to-back games, you should program for 3-4 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doughty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
...are better than one.
badge
Isaiah 41
mbmbmbmbmb
I primarily play with just my wife and I and from setup to completion of one game is about an hour and a half. The quickest game for us was about an hour. But we are pretty slow.

I would set aside 3 - 3 1/2 hours if you are playing with new people and want to do back to back scenarios. That way if people are quick learners and no one takes forever to make a decision than you might be able to sneak in a 3rd game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different groups go at different speeds. My group is probably a bit more AP than most... I'm guessing we take 1-2 hours for a typical AQ scenario. Take setup and rules-learning into consideration, though. Setup will always be a chore in Arcadia Quest: there's just a lot of things to put out, equipment cards to find, etc. Probably give that at least 20 minutes for the first scenario of a night, less for the second. The first game you play will likely be around 2 hours of actual playtime unless everyone is reasonably familiar with all the rules in advance. The guard reactions in particular are tricky to nail down for first time players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Do most people play really slowly or something? I have yet to have an Arcadia Quest game go over an hour, even with new players involved and having to explain things. we usually run 45 min or so on th elong side for some scenarios with 4 players.

Some people just don't play at a rapid pace, no matter how well they know the game. I played a campaign with 3 players, and each game took 2-3 hours.

This game can go quickly, but there is a lot of randomness, so you never know. When I was in the lead, there was one player who was doing everything they could to stop me from winning, and one game lasted an additional 30+ minutes, because he brought back some nasty monsters right on top of me when I was about to win. This was a totally valid strategy, and has he been close to winning himself, it would have been a good idea, but he was nowhere close to winning, so it just ended up dragging things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:

I play with one person in particular who is extremely AP prone. He take A LONG time on each turn. My turns are typically very quick because it's fairly easy to pre-plan before it's your turn, even if the board state has changed before its your turn...

I'd love to play 45 minute games of this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.