Hide
13 Posts

Hive» Forums » General

Subject: I just bought HIVE original version, should I get the expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Do they add a lot to the experience? Or should I just try the game first as it is. I did not buy the Carbon or Pocket version that add the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Play as is until you have mastered the game. That may never happen (I mean, I can't remember when I first played Hive, and I still haven't reached a point where I want to add new pieces).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
the thing is I still have time to change my order to the pocket version. What do you recommend? Keep this one play it as it is and then add expansions. Or buy pocket version right away?
I want the best version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the chunky tiles, and so does my daughter. Win/win for us. I also carried a home-made set around the world for a year or so, and the pocket version would have been perfect for that. Your priorities may differ, but I'd choose based on size, portability, and visual appeal over how many extra pieces are included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nugent
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I went with the carbon version based entirely on the aesthetics. As it had two of the extra bugs included, I also bought the pillbug.

I don't always play with all the bugs, and I never teach it with all the bugs.

The ladybug and mosquito don't radically change the game, but the pillbug really really changes the game, a lot. You could be quite content with the original pieces; there is major depth there.

I often travel with it, and do not find it cumbersome to toss it in my carry on. I've never seen a set of the pocket edition, but I do enjoy the heft of the carbon ones (which are the same size as the original).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Change your order! Buy the POCKET version!
1 it's more portable and playable in more situations and locations! Bonus!
2 you get expansions, which in my opinion, add heaps to the game.
3. You get the expansions ....and the basic game, it's a no brainer!
Play the basic game first , then mix in new pieces as and when your curiosity and ability desire!

I had the big original edition and sold it to buy Pocket, never regretted it for one minute!

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Ode
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play with the original pieces. While I like the size and feel of the original set I mostly use the pocket edition. The small bag ensures that it is always packed on vacations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
Or should I just try the game first as it is.

In my world, that just seems like the sensible approach for any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the carbon version to get the expansions. I don't get to play this game often and I don't think I have ever played with the expansion pieces, but I am very glad I have them if that makes any sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean stockton
msg tools
mbmb
We got the Carbon set, primarily for the aesthetics. Ordered the pillbug set separately, and usually play with everything but that.

We take it to our local diner and play until our food arrives, almost every time we explain the game to people nearby, since it draws some looks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vickers
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have the pocket (with mosquito and ladybug included) and the pillbug expansion which was sold separately. We play with all of the expansions and added them in very early in our game play. They are great additions, and my wife and I find the game much more enjoyable with them. I teach the game with the mosquito included usually.

Regarding regular size versus pocket: I have not played with the regular size but I would imagine I would like it better. Bigger pieces with more heft is usually a good thing. Having said that, hive is nearly always included in any gaming outing or vacation. It is the perfect game to play on the beach...on a small pool side table...on a bench...on a plane tray... and on small cafe table. I am not sure how much table real estate the original takes up compared to the pocket version. Anyone have a comparison?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the ladybug the best because it's simple. The mosquito and the pill bug are a little complex. The mosquito isn't that complex but the pill bug is a little confusing. If you like the game I'd say get them all but I'd buy the ladybug first, mosquito second and then pill bug last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
This user is a professional crastinator
badge
This user is a professional crastinator
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get the expansions!
They really add much more complexity and possibilities.

Mosquito:
Can acquire the special ability of any other bug that it touches.
That basically gives you an extra piece of any direly needed piece that has already been pinned/trapped.

Ladybug:
A cross between beetle and spider.
Can very quickly traverse the whole playing field, jumping into holes to surround the queen bee.

Pillbug:
IMO, the best game mechanic of all official bugs so far.
Very powerful for defending your queen bee via emergency evacuation from a 5-bug surrounding.
Conversely, you can also use it finish off the opponent's queen be by loading off a bug.
Or even more evil, by dumping the enemy queen bee into a hole.

For starting, I suggest you only use one expansion at a time, especially when using the mosquito.
Because the pillbug and the mosquito make a dangerously formidable tag team, that can alternatingly carry themselves across the playing field pretty fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.