New York
New York
flag msg tools
Ok, maybe just a little...
badge
Love me. Hate me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I put together this web page that helps you setup your game of Russian Railroads. It performs these actions:
1. It randomizes turn order as well as seating order.
2. It provides a list of starting items for each player.
3. Most importantly, it randomly select the Engineers for the game following all rules. It also includes Engineers for German Railroads and the Mini-Expansion as options.

It does a couple other little things and I'll add to it when I have time. Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. Thanks!

http://ventersconsulting.com/BoardgameHelpers/RussianRailroa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Engineer 4 of the mini-expansion is not recommended for games with more than 2 people. Might be nice to have that as an option if you decide to not hard code it that way.

edit: How rude of me not to say thank you for doing this. It's great! Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ClimberStephen wrote:
Hi all,

I put together this web page that helps you setup your game of Russian Railroads. It performs these actions:
3. Most importantly, it randomly select the Engineers for the game following all rules. It also includes Engineers for German Railroads and the Mini-Expansion as options.

It does a couple other little things and I'll add to it when I have time. Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. Thanks!

Thank you Stephen for your work! Using the Mining Engineer #0 in coal games is just a recommendation in the rules; it's not mandatory to use him. Personally, I tend to randomize him among all other engineers and only use him if he's drawn. I'd recommend including a checkbox to "force" the Mining Engineer in the game or just randomize him with all others.

Note: you are using the wrong board side with 2 players. Only 1 light-side up engineers is set up, not 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Love me. Hate me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I have updated the generator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annette L.
Germany
flag msg tools
That looks really neat. I'm going to try this out for our next round. Thanks for the effort!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
Cadiz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ClimberStephen wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
my shoes are laced with irony
mbmbmbmbmb
This is cool! Also, I think the 2 player setup should give each player 2 roubles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Love me. Hate me.
mbmbmbmbmb
boywithcap wrote:
This is cool! Also, I think the 2 player setup should give each player 2 roubles?

Good catch! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An error: all player counts start with 1 ruble more when using coal. So, 3 rubles for 2 players (you have 2).

Here are some more ideas:

- The mini expansion includes 5 extra bonus tokens: the freight car, the two-year plan factory, the headhunter, the 6x mixed and the industrial boom. N+1 tokens are used, i.e., 2/3/4/5 tokens with 1/2/3/4 players. How about randomizing them, too?

- Why not include an option for the solo game, too? It's mostly the 2-player setup, with some minor changes, like the mini-expansion tokens. Leaving out one color generates a "invalid player number" message.

- I am currently using this variant in all my games, solo or multiplayer: Discarding-excess-components variant with fewer players; basically, I am discarding excess cards (the "?") and track extensions when playing with 1/2/3 players. It would be great if the app randomized these too, on demand.

- In the 2-player setup one blockade reads "space not used" the other one "spot not used". Well, not a bug, but I couldn't help mentioning the inconsistency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Love me. Hate me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
An error: all player counts start with 1 ruble more when using coal. So, 3 rubles for 2 players (you have 2).

Here are some more ideas:

- The mini expansion includes 5 extra bonus tokens: the freight car, the two-year plan factory, the headhunter, the 6x mixed and the industrial boom. N+1 tokens are used, i.e., 2/3/4/5 tokens with 1/2/3/4 players. How about randomizing them, too?

- Why not include an option for the solo game, too? It's mostly the 2-player setup, with some minor changes, like the mini-expansion tokens. Leaving out one color generates a "invalid player number" message.

- I am currently using this variant in all my games, solo or multiplayer: Discarding-excess-components variant with fewer players; basically, I am discarding excess cards (the "?") and track extensions when playing with 1/2/3 players. It would be great if the app randomized these too, on demand.

- In the 2-player setup one blockade reads "space not used" the other one "spot not used". Well, not a bug, but I couldn't help mentioning the inconsistency.

All good points. If I have time, I'll add the solo variant and possibly the mini expansion randomization. But I have a lot of project I'm itching to move on it

I'll fix the rouble count, however. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Love me. Hate me.
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I added the Solo Variant and the ? token generator for the Mini Expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent work Stephen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.