Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

An old video that YouTube tossed into my "Up Next" feed. It's possible the video was posted to these forums 2 years ago. It's not a bad list of moments for casual gamers.

As hobby gamers, what are your top 5 most satisfying moments in board games?

Mine, in no particular order...

5. Getting Were-Skeletons in Small World
4. Winning by losing in Blood Rage via a Loki strategy
3. Beating Ghost Stories on normal difficulty for the first time
2. Reaching the Alien Queen in Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game around the same time a chestburster is shuffled into your deck
1. When spoiler and spoiler and spoiler happen in Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solving the final puzzle in TIME stories was extremely satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Winning my first game of Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game (10th attempt or so).
Discovering Bora Bora.
Discovering Deck / Pool Building with Dominion and then with Orléans and with Automobiles and many others ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawing 2 Treasure Maps in Dominion, especially early in the game.

In Star Realms, if your opponent says "I'll win next turn" so you don't waste time thinking about what you buy, and you crush them before that. Especially if you bring them down to exactly 0 Life.

The Co-Op Final Plan Discussion ("So if I do X, and you do Y, and Steve does A and B, then I'll do C and we win." "But you forgot that you need to discard a card!" "Crap!" "NEVER FEAR! I have this special card here, all we need is for someone to wear the Hat of Awesomness!" "And I have the Hat of Awesomness!")

In any worker placement, hearing someone swear and curse when you take a spot

When somebody proposes a game you hate, and a third person shoots it down so you don't have to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1: playing against my son in HeroQuest and seeing him enjoy it as much as I did when I was his age.
2: finally beating Wok Star after 13 attempts with my wife.
3: playing chess against my daughter
4: finding a hard to get game hidden between items at a game shop.
5: ripping the shrink wrap of a game and smelling the new game smell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In no particular order:

-Opening a game box for the first time and breathing in that new game smell.

-Playing Jenga with my ailing mother for the first time last Christmas and somehow getting that tower stacked ungodly high to the point of no possible safe pulls. That cheered her up.

-Winning a game of Twilight Imperium III without attacking or being attacked by a single opponent.

-Realizing that everyone had a blast during the game and wants to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
When a board gamer tells you he/she enjoyed playing the board game you designed. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A new guy meets up on our gaming club, and shows up again next Monday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The small "tunk" sound of a piece touching the Tak Board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
neat thread idea

I'd say when you win by a single point in a tighter euro like Puerto Rico or Agricola.

Also, throwing a zillion dice in Arkham Horror. When you can obliterate a Dole that's been guarding a stupid gate (with matching symbol) it just gives the sense of both power and relief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the brand new player asks if you can play again...

Pete (always feels some combination of joy and pride when that happens)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Newman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I recently introduced my sister to Pandemic. After the first game, she said something like: "Honestly, I agreed to play so I wouldn't hurt your feelings, but after playing it, I love it! Can we play again?"

My wife and I just looked at each other and laughed, setting up the board for another game. The whole weekend we stayed at her house, we didn't get to bed before midnight so we could squeeze in as many games as possible before we left.

The other most satisfying moment was a case of beginner's luck, where I won Catan the first time I played it. I had some very lucky card draws and everything worked out right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maj n. jeb
msg tools
mb
I can't think of five off the top of my head... but the ones I can are:

1. Completing the Kill the Shogun! mission in Yedo.
2. Killing the Hill Troll in the LotR LCG core.
3. Completing any quest in the LotR LCG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The First time my Roommate and I beat Ghost Stories. That felt like a true accomplishment!

2. Playing Time Stories for the first time and discovering the story, characters, and all the experiences.

3. When I first discovered Wiz-War, got it as a gift from said roommate, and then proceeded to beat my other roommate in our first game. cool

4. Walking into Board Game Warehouse (RIP) for the first time and staring at their seemingly endless shelves of games.

5. Playing games with my Fiance and watching her get into them, whether competitively or cooperatively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know I'm a terrible liar, so when I first played The Resistance, I decided to play the Long Game. I publicly insisted throughout the game that I was a spy (I wasn't); everybody saw through my ruse. I continued to do this in every subsequent game. Eventually I was a spy, but everybody had long since grown to ignore my proclamations. I won that game without a single lie devil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeoster wrote:
When a board gamer tells you he/she enjoyed playing the board game you designed. cool

1. Similar one for me, when somebody said the variant I created for a game replaced the standard way of playing it for him. Great feeling.

2. When your score is calculated last, but you end up winning by one point. Especially if you count end game points on the track around the game board.

3. When my wife wins against me and 2 other more avid board gamers with no AP whatsoever.

4. Playing a game of Battlestar Galactica where one of the Cylons was so good that we had an innocent guy in the brig for half the game, and eventually thought the game was setup incorrectly. We had to have the wife of one of the players check all the role cards to make sure we had the correct setup, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My best gaming experience was in Colosseum. I managed to put on Caesar's Triumphant March complete with every performer, with every single Senator, Consul, and the Emperor in my arena, and two Star Performers. I'll have to see if I can find the picture I took of that again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Long
United States
Burien
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being in a playing for second to last place situation mid-game and pulling off an epic come from behind victory. Especially good when you have you completely change gears in strategy in order to do so mid-game. One time in Castles of Burgundy I erased a 100 point deficit in the last phase (is that the right term for the final trade goods pile being revealed and placed?) and winning by 3 points.

When all the parts of a carefully planned strategy/combo falls into place perfectly. I had one game of Dominion with either the Biggest Money or Biggest Action preset that resulted in me ending the game because I had over 65 buys (It involved King's Court and Goons for sure maybe Grand Market) and more than enough money to clear remaining provinces and copper...

Playing a game that turns someone totally uninterested in playing the game into a fan who wants to play again.

Knowing the game is over and won and no one else realizing it yet.

Using table talk to worm your way out of a situation that you were sure would result in your elimination or loss. Using table talk and negotiation that results in another player being utterly confounded and not sure what to do and the results ending in your favor. Best examples for me have been from BANG!, Sheriff of Nottingham and The Resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a time I was playing some game and I thought I was going to lose, but it turned out I didn't lose, but instead I won the game.

Those memories stick with you your whole life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll toss one in from yesterday - my family traditionally plays a game together on Sunday afternoons. (Mom, Dad, 12-year-old daughter, 8-year-old son). We have a set of rules for picking the game each week, and yesterday we ended up with Ricochet Robot. My husband is freakishly good at this game, so we all figured we would lose, but the rest of us could compete for second place. We also have a house rule that we toss back any chit that has a three-move solution back into the supply and draw a new one.

Yesterday, this happened:

We have never had a four-way tie in any Sunday game before, let alone in the one game that one player usually dominates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Pax topple. Yours, mine, my worst enemy, doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
5. Not having to play Skip-Bo when my wife's friends come to visit or we visit them.
4. Having everyone pitch in when putting any of my games away. I'm rather picky as to how it's done.
3. Winning (or losing) but not by all that much of a margin.
2. Winning vs two Traitors in Shadows over Camelot: Merlin's Company when playing with 7-8experienced players.
1. Playing almost any game* with the extended family (4 generations).
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- When the game is finished, the final display of components make a good candidate of an epic "game-fie" (sorry if my made up word doesn't make sense).

- When someone suddenly layout that best ever finishing combo.

- Having be able to complete a set of something in the set collection game.

- When I put out a new game and found everyone was enjoying it and would like to play it again (thus I didn't make a bad purchase).

- When RNG shines on me in my turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In TI3, the following happened, which was satisfying to all but 1 player.

One player has a giant fleet over Mecatol Rex (important hex in the middle of the map). Nekro Virus send their flagship into it (the ability of the ship is that if it dies, everything else into the hex dies, friendly or not. The player with the giant fleet manages to retreat without accidentally killing it first. They go into an unexplored empty space. The counter gets flipped when they go into the space to see what happens, and it's a supernova, instantly killing everything in the system.

Pretty fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.