$20.00
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its our first game but it seems to be taking WAY too long. we must be doing something wrong. we are going a little slow because we are checking rules but we are two hours in and the first age is just ending. i love games like this but we are all not looking forward to two more ages

we are removing cards in the first slots at the end of every turn, what else could we be missing

or is the game just this long
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not called "Through the Ages" for nothing! Two thousand years of human history, in real time!

Seriously though - it IS a long game. Your first play, checking rules and so on, will indeed take the "Ages" of that title. You've not said how many players there are - I would never attempt more than 3 players unless all are experienced.

But - rest assured - this is a GREAT game! Well worth that initial learning experience. I hope this experience hasn't put you off. The game should be finishable within 4 or 5 hours, but yes, your first full game will take longer, and it's wise to do as much prep as possible in terms of learning the rules, and sticking to 2 or maybe 3 players tops, until you know the game better.

I hope the game works for you - personally I think it's one of the two or three greatest games ever devised - enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG itself says the game length is up to 4 hours. This is often x1.5 that if first time.

Perfectly normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbalcody wrote:
its our first game but it seems to be taking WAY too long. we must be doing something wrong. we are going a little slow because we are checking rules but we are two hours in and the first age is just ending. i love games like this but we are all not looking forward to two more ages

we are removing cards in the first slots at the end of every turn, what else could we be missing

or is the game just this long

First Age being "A" or first age being "I"?

If you're talking about A it does seem a bit weird, as there are not that many cards in there. If you're talking about "I" though it almost seems normal on your first game (and especially if you're playing with more than 2 players?).
The next ages for your first game should go faster as there is not more "new" stuff in them but you should know all mechanics by then, but it is indeed still quiet a long game.

But yes, I played with my boyfriend yesterday teaching him the game and even with just the two of us and playing the short game with only the A, I and II cards it took us 3 1/2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, we were NOT replenishing the card row! Feel stupid haha.

One more question, if I have two workers on a 2 resource field and I pay 3 resources for something, is the fourth resource lost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean we were replenishing at round end, not at start of turn. Second age went much more smoothly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbalcody wrote:

One more question, if I have two workers on a 2 resource field and I pay 3 resources for something, is the fourth resource lost

The rules state somewhere that you can exchange "down" (not sure how to call it in english), so you can exchange one 2-value cube for two one-value cubes and then spend only one of those.
You just can't exchange the other way around, so having two 1-value cubes, you can't just turn them into a 2-value cube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbalcody wrote:
thanks all

After finishing your game, give it a go at the online implementation. It helped me understand the game better and even test some strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.