6 Posts

Space Cadets: Away Missions» Forums » General

Subject: Will Someone Compare/Contrast with Zombicide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
I read a few reviews, looks like it may be a bit deeper than Zcide S1/S2. Can anyone who has played both do a little comparison for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hav both and you are correct, Puzzling out just thr right combinations of Overkills turns out to be lot trickier than just searching for more weapons to blast ever-increasing hordes of Zeds, SC:AM is what Zombicide wants to be when it grows up. The retro Sci-Fi theme is a lot of fun, the game mechanics are deeper and more versatile than Zombicide and while you probably break even on wins and losses, the losses are typically close. SC:AM is getting to my to my table far more often than Zombicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I play \Black Plague instead of traditional Zombicide, but I think they are similar enough to make a comparison.

There are definitely a things worthy of comparison in these games, they are:

both cooperative games
Games where the players are hunting down and killing thing
Thematically driven

I'd say that the Space Cadets rules are slightly more complex than Black Plague, and there are definitely a lot more options in terms of play.

It Space Cadets Away Missions is a bit harder to teach and get good at.

I have both, I play both, not regularly, but certainly enough to keep them on my shelf.

Right now Black Plague is getting the most play, because my friends like the medieval zombie theme, but I expect we'll flip back.

I think the comparison of Space Cadets being a "big brother" to Zombicide is a reasonable one. A little more complex, a little more varied, but both are fun.

I'd say for me, it depends on what theme I want, rather than making a choice because of the rules set.

I will say that for me, setting up Space Cadets takes a lot more time than Black Plague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Away Missions has more of a puzzle feel to to figuring out the missions and is a bit more, let's say, intellectually stimulating. Zombicide is more of a run-around-and-blow-stuff-up kind of game. I enjoy both, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with AM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to reuse something I already wrote when someone asked for a comparison of these two games and Fireteam Zero (just so you know why FTZ is included in this post):

I don't know your tastes, so forgive my analysis for not being well-tuned to you specifically. But I own all three, have played each of them at least four times (though not much solo) and rate all of them an 8. So I do like all three. Here's how I would break them down.

Zombicide has the sexiest visual design, with much higher-quality minis than the other two and gorgeous production throughout. It has the most vibrant fan community and this is a replayability asset because Zombicide games have a consistent history of lots of custom scenarios and variants. Actually, even the publisher designs scenarios for it on the official website.

It is the simplest of the three, strategically, though it's not necessarily easy. It's almost wargamey, in that positioning and dice combat are simple systems but where you choose to go and how well you plan for the dice odds is extremely critical to success. The fact that the spawn and item decks are card-based adds a significant random component that can make difficulty highly variable (cards add much more variance than dice).

Zombicide is probably the easiest to solo. Even if you run the recommended six survivors, the form factor of the dashboards and the simple system makes running them all a breeze.

Fireteam: Zero is the most stripped-down game of the three. Each round, each member of your team will move and either make an attack or flip an objective token. Literally, that's it. The trick here is the card play; managing your hand of cards for both attacks and absorbing damage is difficult and unforgiving.

This is the toughest of the three games and that's purely a "by design" element. By that I mean the game is simply tuned to a high difficulty. Because you roll few dice and average hits exactly kill a creature, rolling slightly below average can be very crippling. When the creatures fight back, it hurts real bad.

It has a cool visual style and a quirky, unique feel to the theme, if that's important to you. The production itself is not up to the level of Zombicide, with less detail and inconsistent scaling in the miniatures and cards that are perfectly functional but a little ugly.

This one is probably the most taxing to solo, as the hand management is the core of the game and each individual squad member has their own unique deck and hand. Running the minimum squad size (2) would be the easiest to manage mentally but is also the highest difficulty, leaving you no room for error.

Some have compared it to Gears of War: The Board Game, which is not unreasonable, but it doesn't feel like Gears of War in my opinion. Fireteam: Zero also has an absurdly large box, so if storage space is limited that will actually be a factor for you.

Space Cadets: Away Missions has a campy, goofy theme that I enjoy, but it is more nostalgic than original. Its earlier titles were "Adventures in the Rocket Patrol" and "Spacemen vs Aliens" and that gives you an idea what feel it's going for.

Gameplay-wise, this one is the most puzzley. The interaction of limited moves, action options and the Overkill mechanism makes each turn like a mini-puzzle of prioritizing what needs to happen, how you're most likely to get it done and how much extra you can squeeze out because of it. This is in contrast to Zombicide (long-term risk management) and Fireteam: Zero (simply trying to stay alive while moving across a map).

There are many scenarios in this game and the enemies feel very differentiated, though learning the ins and outs of how to run them all correctly may trip you up the first time you use each one.

Summary

Zombicide: Black Plague is good if you like wargame/Ameritrash and long-range resource/risk management based on simple dice roll calculations. It's also very strong if you enjoy creating custom missions or variants, as it's almost a toolbox system that anyone can mess with easily. It's the easiest to play solo.

Fireteam: Zero and Space Cadets: Away Missions are better if you're a euro-style, mechanism-oriented person as the mechanisms themselves are more engrossing. The themes are less in your face because you'll spend all your mental runtime engaging the game rules to stay alive. This comes back to the puzzle metaphor I used above. From there, decide if you prefer a hand-management puzzle or a special powers puzzle, with the tiebreaker being that FTZ is probably much harder to solo and is definitely much harder to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks guys this is helpful. We play Zombicide a lot and my only complaint is that sometimes it is mindless (albeit mindless fun), just chucking handfulls of dice at hoards as you mow your way across the board. I like games that are puzzly and offer a bit more stimulation so this should be right up my alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.