Subject: Ancestry + mechanisms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr Lang has stated:
"Whereas the distant ancestor of Blood Rage was Risk, Rising Sun claims Diplomacy as its distant ancestor."

I'm confused by this: the only similarity I can see between Risk and BR is being "Dudes On A Map" games (which generally have multiplayer conflicts, yeah baby! arrrh ).

So what does having ancestry from Diplomacy mean for RS in similarities?
Alliances +/- betrayal obviously.

Anything else?

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. I. H
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the idea here is having both combat and diplomacy. So, as far as we can tell now, it is what you said, alliances and loyalty/betrayal; that is mainly what Diplomacy is known for, and probably not much else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nietzel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To refine that a bit:

Risk is a game where it is clearly every man for himself. There is no way to "help" another player. Everything you do is a benefit to yourself only. Sure, you can form alliances (more like mutual non-aggression pacts) or focus attacks on the leader to try to reign them in, but you can't directly benefit anyone else. So it is with Blood Rage for the most part. You can form alliances I guess, but there is really not much if anything (that I've encountered) where you can directly benefit someone else. You use your troops/monsters/ships to attack others and win by controlling valuable areas of the board (obviously that's not all of it, but in it's simplest form) just like Risk.

In Diplomacy, you literally can't win the game without the help of others. Players provide support and help in a very tangible way. The only way to win is to engage in literal supporting of others, and have them support you in kind. Negotiation and providing/receiving support is the crux of the game. Obviously, we don't really know much about how Rising Sun plays, but it seems plausible to assume that getting and giving help to other players will be not only possible, but actually critical to success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds amazing. I like the idea of forging alliances and breaking them too, adds a slight element of bluffing to a game which helps make each game different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add that Diplomacy has absolutely no randomness in it, like chess.
Might be implemented in Rising Sun too, although I wouldn't know how?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just discovered this prospective game, I am curious: has Mr. Lang mentioned how much he is drawing on the actual history of feudal Japan?

In the sengoku jidai, diplomatic finesse was as valuable as military prowess, at least in securing conditions for a military victory favorable to your house. The Battle of Sekigahara was decided mainly by treachery as Tokugawa Ieyasu had been quietly courting a number of the opposing lords. One Kobayakawa Hideaki finally turned his coat (although he had to be forcibly reminded of the deal) which precipitated four other generals into betraying the Western Army, leading to its defeat.

So it would be very thematic for a strong diplomatic element to be part of Rising Sun, where each player's house/family/clan tries to offer the best seeming deal while concealing the tanto (dagger) behind the silk screen. Or truly cultivate a sterling reputation and not betraying anyone until the stakes are as high as Sekigahara.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is definitely negotiation, alliances and alliance breaking.

But dont expect much history, it is more about Japanese mythology (tinged with high fantasy) and a conflict over the island's major provinces by nonhistorical clans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I'm okay with Japanese Samurai fantasy. I used to play Legend of the Five Rings which was what made me curious about real Japanese feudal history. Still have my minis for the short-lived miniatures game they put out. {They were less detailed than prototypes shown for Rising Sun, but were still a challenge to paint. Should I buy Rising Sun, those minis will remain unpainted.}

Talonz wrote:
There is definitely negotiation, alliances and alliance breaking.

But dont expect much history, it is more about Japanese mythology (tinged with high fantasy) and a conflict over the island's major provinces by nonhistorical clans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.