Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

The game Elder Sign (its Unseen Forces expansion) has an AO called Shudde M'ell with this ability:

Quote:
When an investigator fails an adventure, discard that Adventure or Other World card ... and do not replace it. If there are no more Adventure or Other World cards in play, the game ends and the investigators lose.

That AO is my favourite in ES because of the tension it adds, and i'm looking for ideas on adapting it to EH. For example, here's one potential option:

Quote:
When an investigator fails an Other World adventure, Shudde M'ell devours that space on the board - place a Devoured token on the space. Move the Gate and all Investigators and Monsters on that space to the closest space without a Devoured token on it.

If all of the Named Cities have a Devoured token, Shudde M'ell awakens.

If a Gate is drawn from the stack for a Named City which has a Devoured token, Shudde M'ell awakens. (This could happen after cycling through all gates.)

Open questions:

- can Investigators travel through Devoured spaces? (If not, movement may become severely hindered.) If so, maybe they are treated as generic Wilderness areas?

Some potential options:

- Apply this to Research adventures instead of Other World. Or both, for masochistic players.

- Instead of moving the Gate when its space is devoured:

-- The Gate, not the space it is on, is devoured, removed from the game. Do not move any of the other tokens (Investigators, Monsters, etc.) from that space.

-- If X (=4? Or maybe (9-Investigators)?) Gates are devoured, Shudde M'ell awakens.

i'd love to hear other options/suggestions for this, as well as suggestions for Shudde M'ell's starting EH Doom value, Cultist traits, Reckoning effect, Awakens effects, Mythos deck composition, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First things first: I would use Eldritch tokens to mark destroyed sites. EH tends to avoid superfluous tokens.

I would rather base Shudde M'ell's flavor from Arkham Horror than Elder Sign, and have it destroy a random location City at reckoning.

The destroyed locations could use "A Cracked World" special encounter deck instead of any other that would be normally available. (Except gates - Other World encounters would work normally).
This encounter deck would be dangerous and not very rewarding, but it could provide some insights about how to seal Shudde M'ell (Clues, Doom retreats, rarely a Mystery advance).
"Prepare for Travel" and "Acquire Assets" actions would be unavailable at destroyed location.

After being flipped, Shudde M'ell could destroy a City location instead of every doom advance.
At any point of the game, when all Cities are destroyed, the civilization lies in ruin and investigators lose the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
That AO is my favourite in ES because of the tension it adds, and i'm looking for ideas on adapting it to EH.

I've liked him too... in fact, so much that I've created an entire setup for him. We're actually in the middle of a play-by-forum game with him, and barring my players telling me he needs serious reworking, I'll be uploading the files after the game is done.

If you want to follow along with the game and see what I've done, here's a handy link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.