Popular Tags: [View All]
Wakefield Morys-Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've quite enjoyed playing Black Box this summer, both with one player hiding the atoms and with one or more players against the book. We discovered that for the final problem in the book (game 80 with five atoms) there is a second solution which is indistinguishable from the published one. The following photos show the two solutions -- all uncovered numbers are black "absorbed" pawns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well found. The green takes quite a wild-ride in the 2nd solution, but it seems like there are two viable solutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one example of a more generic problem with the game: There are many ways to do this. Another example:

--------
--------
--*--*--
---*----
--------
--*--*--
--------
--------
The one on the inside is not detectable and could be in 1 of 4 positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wakefield Morys-Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I saw someone mention that one on the Black Box + forum, though in that case the alternative solutions and the fact that they can't be distinguished are obvious.

I wonder if there are any cases when using four atoms. My hunch is that it's the added complexity of the fifth atom that allows for multiple solutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.