Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Evade test twice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suntman Mike
msg tools
Hi!

I've got a little problem with evade.

If you stay in a monster's space, you need for an evade check for doing any action other than attack action. Clear. If I make an evade test with a succes for my first non attack/move action, than I need to make another for my second non attack action? Or If I make succes for the first time, than I don't need any evade rolls for the same monster in the rest of my turn.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide favargiotti
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As I read it, it is an evade check for every action you try to do except fighting or moving. (or if you try to leave the space when there's one or more monster in there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evade is not an Action but a check. The procedure should be this:

1) Declare the Action you want to take that needs evading, e.g. Movement.
2) Make an Evade check. If you fail you MAY forfeit your planned Action (see the App text). If you succeed then take your planned Action
3) If you failed repeat 1 and 2, if desired. This would be your second Action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgwestrip wrote:
2) Make an Evade check. If you fail you forfeit your planned Action. If you succeed then take your planned Action

You don't necessarily forfeit the action though, only if the app tells you to. It's better to pay close attention to that, as there may be fail results that give you damage/horror but don't necessarily forfeit the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suntman Mike
msg tools
Thank you guys!
Maybe Shadows of Brimstone confused me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edvinszky wrote:
Or If I make succes for the first time, than I don't need any evade rolls for the same monster in the rest of my turn.

I don't think that part was answered by anyone above though, so...

If you succeed in your Evade Test & perform your first action, but you are still in the same space after performing that action (you did something besides move away, eg. Trade), then presumably you would need to perform another Evade Test before performing your second action (unless you are attacking with that action).

Similarly, if you do move away with your first action (after passing the Evade Test), but then end up on a space with another monster, you'd have to perform another Evade Test before your second action, by the same rules.

Or, if you succeed in the Evade Test and then move only one space into an adjacent space containing another monster(s), you'd have to pass a second Evade Test before being permitted to move away into the second space (from that same Move Action).

I think those are correct anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chalmers
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
What about this.

2 investigators are in the same space as a monster.

1 investigator decides to "PUSH" the other investigator out of the space so either they can BOTH move out using the push action or the investigator pushing just wants to get the other investigator our of the space with the monster.

Do they BOTH have to perform an EVADE check?

I am assuming the PUSHER has to perform an EVADE check since that investigator is performing an action that is not an ATTACK action.
But does the pushed investigator have to EVADE as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sador42 wrote:
What about this.

1 investigator decides to "PUSH" the other investigator out of the space so either they can BOTH move out using the push action or the investigator pushing just wants to get the other investigator our of the space with the monster.

I am assuming the PUSHER has to perform an EVADE check since that investigator is performing an action that is not an ATTACK action.

The investigator being pushed does NOT have perform an evade check since their movement is "involuntary" (it doesn't use the words "may" or "upto", as per "Movement" in the reference), even if they are "willing" as per Push Action rules.

Presumably the active investigator would have to perform an Evade Test before doing the Push Action.

What's not entirely clear to me is whether the active investigator would then have to perform a second Evade Test if they choose to take the "voluntary" movement granted by the Push Action ("active investigator may move 1 space toward the chosen space"). Evade in the reference says you should perform a test if you "move out of the monster’s space voluntarily", which is what's happening with that free movement.

So I think they would have to take a 2nd Evade Test... even though it seems a bit odd.

I'm sure there was another thread discussing this somewhere here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chalmers
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Well in our case the "pusher" wanted to stay in his space so we ruled that he had to perform the Evade test, and the "pushee" did not and moved from the space with the monster in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
sador42 wrote:
What about this.

The investigator being pushed does NOT have perform an evade check since their movement is "involuntary" (it doesn't use the words "may" or "upto", as per "Movement" in the reference), even if they are "willing" as per Push Action rules.

Presumably the active investigator would have to perform an Evade Test before doing the Push Action.

What's not entirely clear to me is whether the active investigator would then have to perform a second Evade Test if they choose to take the "voluntary" movement granted by the Push Action ("active investigator may move 1 space toward the chosen space"). Evade in the reference says you should perform a test if you "move out of the monster’s space voluntarily", which is what's happening with that free movement.

So I think they would have to take a 2nd Evade Test... even though it seems a bit odd.

This is my reading of the rules also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grif Grif
msg tools
GreatDebate wrote:
Pudsy wrote:
sador42 wrote:
What about this.

This is my reading of the rules also.

Yes, 2 evade checks if the pusher were to also voluntarily move away from the monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.