Subject: The Ludoquist - new board game cafe in Croydon - coming soon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Ludoquist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello,

I hope this is the right/appropriate place for this - perhaps someone can let me know if not. I just wanted to spread the word a little bit about our Board Game Cafe, opening Real Soon Now (TM) in Croydon.

I'm starting to blog here about what inspires us, what we have planned, and what we are doing, but for now I just wanted to share a bit about the way we're going to Make Gaming Great Again . (You can read more at our blog at http://www.theludoquist.com/blog/ )

We're going to have as many features as we can which will make gamer geeks – Ludoquists – go "Wow", without being so overtly geeky we drive away casual gamers.

Here are a few of the things we have planned;

Lots of games. We're not going to have as many as Thirsty Meeples 2000, but we've already got 300, and aim to have 400 by the time we open.

Quality games. We're going to aim to cover the BGG Top 100 games list – maybe not completely on opening, but pretty quickly. We may pick up games because they are second-hand and inexpensive, but we want to have the best games available for you.

Pimped-out games. We don't want just to have the best games, but the best version of games possible. What does that mean? Well;

We already have 800 metal coins in 20 different themes. We have Roman Coins for playing games with Roman themes, Greek Coins for Greek-themed, Dragon and Dwarf coins for fantasy games, and Credits for Sci-Fi. And we've got more to come.

We have the various Stonemaier realistic resource Treasure Chests. You won't be playing with just a cardboard token representing a gold bar or a coffee bean, but an actual metal ingot, or a 3D Coffee bean.

Wherever we can we will lay our hand on deluxe, anniversary, or collector's editions. For example, we have the Small World Designer Edition (Needing two people to carry it), The Settlers of Catan 3D Treasure Chest, the Scythe Collector's Edition.

We want to support the industry, and we'll be supporting a lot of kick starters, particularly UK based ones, but very particularly ones which give additional and exclusive loot. Coming up, we have Conan, Arcadia Quest: Inferno, and Dungeons of Masmorra, for example, with all their unique add-ons available to play.

And not just the big games. We've supported many Indie games as well, like Victory or Death, Thin Ice, and Great Scott!

Over time, we will get some of the wonderful minatures that come with some modern games painted. We've got some fabulous local painters, and Blood Rage is top of the list (Yes, we kickstarted it, so we have the exclusive minis).

In addition to the games themselves, we'll be getting a lot of expansions. Right now, we have about 300 games, but also 120 expansions. Want to play the Japanese in Memoir 44, the Skaven in Chaos in the Old World, or Shapeshifters in Terra Mystica? We've got 'em. We've also got full Big Boxes for Smash Up, The Red Dragon Inn, and Warfighter. We've got lots of Marvel: Legendary and Dominion.

Our full current list of games is here. What are we missing? What other cool things can we do to excite you? If you want to make sure you get all the info about us, please sign up at http://www.theludoquist.com !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want people to wander in and be taught games then you need short easy to teach (and play) stuff, rather than long/heavy games.

Things like Qwirkle, Tsuro, Camel Up.

But it really depends on who your target market is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ludoquist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:
If you want people to wander in and be taught games then you need short easy to teach (and play) stuff, rather than long/heavy games.

Things like Qwirkle, Tsuro, Camel Up.

But it really depends on who your target market is.

Thanks for the response, Nigel. You're absolutely right, of course. My first post was very much aimed at the hardcore gamers (I'm kinda assuming that anyone who digs this far into the BGG forums can be described as hardcore ).

There's a whole different blog post addressing more casual gamers at http://www.theludoquist.com/blog/post/2903/Casual-guests/, but the short answer is yes, we will absolutely be having shorter easier games available than some of the relative heavyweights I talked about above.

We picked up Qwirkle the other day, for example, and while we actually don't yet have Camel Up, we *have* got the referee camel in anticipation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Lang
msg tools
mbmb
This is great news. Thanks for letting people know! Have been struggling to find a good physical store anywhere near me and contacting you has now also give me an easier meetup to get to.

Thanks and good luck with the preparation​and opening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ludoquist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lezlaig wrote:
This is great news. Thanks for letting people know! Have been struggling to find a good physical store anywhere near me and contacting you has now also give me an easier meetup to get to.

Thanks and good luck with the preparation​and opening!

Hey Lex,
Pleasure indeed! We're really close to signing a lease so things will be getting really exciting any time now!

Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.