Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Rpg game Print and Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn thatcher
msg tools
If anyone can help me with this. I'm looking for a rpg that uses cards for player characters, npc, enemies, weapons ect. I work in an office setting and it would be easier to play on our downtime with cards then the normal books and sheets. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question would probably receive more response in the recommendation forums or the peg forums. I off hand don't know of any pnp like that, but Paizo that is the company behind the Pathfinder games do allow people to print their RPG books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Gedwyn32 wrote:
If anyone can help me with this. I'm looking for a rpg that uses cards for player characters, npc, enemies, weapons ect. I work in an office setting and it would be easier to play on our downtime with cards then the normal books and sheets. Thanks

There was this collectible card game RPG called Storm Something ... I don't know the complete title anymore. It never became a success. (edit: Found it. Dragon Storm. It was terrible. Erase this information from your mind ASAP).

Some RPGs use cards for a resolution system. Castle Falkenstein (which plays in a fantasy version of the late 1800s where Sherlock Holmes and Rumpelstiltskin are real characters) is one, for instance, which uses normal playing cards (although there is a variant where you can use tarot cards). The character sheet can be written down on a bookmark and players are advised to keep a journal for their character, because 'any well-bred gentleman does'. It is nowhere obliged to do so, though.

All the books and such that you have for RPGs are never necessary on the table. Choose a rules-light system like CF or Over the Edge, and you're good to go.

Or choose Amber DRPG and you don't need any books, sheets, or random number generator at all.

The core of roleplaying is interactive storytelling. The rules, dice, and all the rest, are mere crutches handed to GM and players for support. They make life for the players (including the GM) easier, but are not necessary in the way that rules for boardgames are necessary.

With most boardgames players play against each other. Rules are the equivalent of an impartial judge, who delineates what is acceptable behaviour and what not. Because of the competitive nature of boardgames, such a judge is needed. With RPGs, players (are supposed to) work together, and the rules fulfil another role. They are more fluid, suggestions rather than laws, and games don't break down if players don't strictly adhere to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
"What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a newer game that uses only cards. It was recently Kickstarted so I don't know if it's hit broad distribution yet: Phoenix: Dawn Command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you can search for The Fantasy Trip, which includes Wizard and Melee.

Both have RPG elements, such as creating you character.

If you are also interested in paragraph styled games, within this universum:
Orb Quest
Death Test
Death Test 2
and there are some more (all from the Metagaming Microgames series).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.