Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst waiting for Heroes to come on, I managed to have three solo games of Arkham Horror, with my new acquisition, Curse of the Dark Pharoah as a Permanent Exhibit. I've played with it as Visiting in a 3 player game, and it's just too overwhelming for solo play all on its lonesome.

Game 1: Monterey Jack vs Shub-Niggurath
Jack began the game haunting the Curiosity shop, where he acquired an Elder Sign on his first browse. This he took to the gate that had appeared Woods, and after a fairly uneventful trip through the gate, he sacrificed health and sanity to seal it.

More exploring of Arkham allowed him to acquire an Elder Sign Parchment from the Antiquities, which he took to the Unvisited Isle gate and sealed that... although he unfortunately became Tainted during the process.

He managed to seal a third gate in the graveyard - this time by discarding clues, but monster surge after monster surge sent the Horror Level up to ten, and the next monster surge broke loose Shub-Niggurath. Jack had acquired 4 Monster trophies, was armed with a Enchanted Blade, and had 2 Clue tokens to fight the Ancient One with, but they proved insufficient, if barely. SN was reduced from 12 tokens to 2, but finally Monterey Jack was devoured and Arkham Horror was doomed.

Game 2: Jenny Barnes vs Cthulhu
Cthulhu is difficult - you need to seal the gates, for fighting it is almost impossible. Jenny spent much of the early part of the game moving between the Curiosity Shop, the Newspaper and the Rail Station as she tried to get more money and Elder Signs - or at least some good weapons. An Enchanted Blade was the best she could find, although some Tomes were making her very skilled.

Eventually, she managed to seal one gate to the Abyss. With 7 gates on the table, she moved to close another gate, but rolled extremely poorly on the Lore check. During the Mythos phase, the 8th gate opened and Cthulhu awoke. An Enchanted Blade allowing her the grand total of 2 dice against Cthulhu was never going to be enough, and it wasn't.

Game 3: "Ashcan" Pete vs Ithaqua
Pete's lack of money was a real issue this game. All he needed was a good weapon, and he'd be able to take down Ithaqua... he began with a revolver, which wasn't a bad start.

He managed to seal one gate in the Graveyard using Clue tokens, but then came up the new rumour "Return to the Old Ways" that would destroy his revolver. Hoping for enough time to find another, he sacrificed it to destroy the rumor, and closed another gate. Taking the gate trophy to the Docks, he received $5 for it, which he exchanged at the Curiousity shop for an Enchanted Knife... not entirely the weapon he needed.

The Doom Track then reached 11, sped up by a "2 Doom token" mythos card, and Ithaqua awoke. Pete was very lucky - the Knife survived Ithaqua's icy blasts, and the fight was on. It was close: Pete reduced Ithaqua to one health, but after 7 rounds of combat, Pete could no longer resist and was devoured. Ithaqua had won!

So, there you have it: three games, three losses. In both game 1 and 3, a couple of better rolls could have the games end in my favour, but it was not to be. Lots of fun, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb Adams
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lord, man, how good are you at this game? A whole season of Heroes could go by while I set this thing up. Wow.

Anyway, could you talk briefly about what the Dark Pharaoh brough to the experience? I've played only the basic game--as a small expansion is this really adding much to the game? Should I wait on it until the vanilla game gets stale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeb
I wouldn't wait to pick it up. You never know how long it will be in print.
It adds a lot more flavor to the game(I'm a sucker for Egyptian themes) plus tweaks some of the rules. (See the Arkham Horror Files section for a thorough idea of what I mean)
Besides, the Pharoah is a small expansion and only costs about $24. Good bang for the buck.
Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you play with the official rules pertaining to mandatory purchases when visiting a store?

Ironically I played a solo session (with 2 investigators) vs. Shub Niggurath myself lastnight. Suffice to say we lost due to the terror track breaking Shub into Arkham (doom track reached 9~) and he proceeded to rip my investigators into dust within 3 turns.

Jeb - I'd hold off as long as the market will allow you regarding the Dark Pharaoh expansion. It makes the game harder, waters down the useful spells and makes elder signs rarer. It's worth getting before Dunwich, put is paled in comparison to what Dunwich adds to the mechanics and options in the game. Most of us on the official (ffg) forum have a distaste for DP, but respect it for what it added pre-Dunwich.

The allies are interesting, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Do you play with the official rules pertaining to mandatory purchases when visiting a store?

Yes, I do.

Quote:
Jeb - I'd hold off as long as the market will allow you regarding the Dark Pharaoh expansion. It makes the game harder, waters down the useful spells and makes elder signs rarer.

I agree with it watering down the spells; that's definitely the case.

It adds no new Unique items, so I don't see how it makes Elder Signs rarer.

The big bonus of CotDP for me is the expanded Arkham Location decks - from 7 to 12 cards makes a much more interesting game. I have Dunwich Horror as well, but I'm going to play a bit more of just AH+CotDP for a while just to see how it works (and so I can write a review).

The new Gate Encounters are also a lot of fun, from what I can see.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeblucas wrote:
Good lord, man, how good are you at this game? A whole season of Heroes could go by while I set this thing up. Wow.

Heh. That's what people say about me running D&D combat as well... I'm just a lot faster at some things. Like reading - about 200 pages an hour.

I've had quite a bit of practice at playing AH solo now. A game generally takes 20-40 minutes to play, and I leave the game set up between games. (Set up is about 10-15 minutes).

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.