Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone.

So, I was playing solo yesterday and had a hard time to determine what should be the correct interpretation for one situation. I've been loking this rules forum and also searched the extensive 'Comprehensive FAQ & Errata" file, but couldn't find an answer to this:

So, the "Cataclysm" event card says that we must take all the items we have and place it in the "future resources" space on the board, so we can't use them untill the next action phase ends.

What about the specific item for the scenario, like the Hatchet? It gives +1 wood in our camp, and since it is printed in the scenario rulebook it can't go to the future resources space. But the way I understand it is still an item, and I only had the +1 token because of it. So the question is:

a) When Cataclysm hits, I move the +1 token from the camp to the future resources space, meaning that in this production phase I won't be able to have it, since the hatchet is an item and, therefore, I would'n be able to use it until after the next action phase;

or

b) Since the hatchet is a special item printed in the scenario it doesn't get affected by the Cataclysm event.

In my playthrough, I remembered reading somewhere to always think thematically when it comes to rules doubt during gameplay, so I ruled "A" in my options above. I understand that the hatchet is an item and since it was unavailable, I would not be able to gather more wood during production phase. But that would force me to live through one more day in order to win. Which I did, anyway. But I still wonder what should be the answer for this.

Thank you very much in advance. Best regards to you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad T
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's A. Scenario specific items are still items. There are cards with those items either in Polish Game of the Year edition or on Portal's store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see them on Portal's store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad T
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then they must be from Polish GOTY edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Ransom
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Catch! Ironically I played last night and got the same event card! It didn't even occur to me to remove the +1 wood for temporary loss of hatchet. However I completely agree you should. Thematically that makes the most sense. For me, it would not have mattered as I had the resources ready to win, however the event did force me to wait out another raining night.

I came to BGG this morning to search out a different ruling. At one point I got an event requiring I take out three invention cards. I was not sure if I was able to include the scenario inventions (mast,hatchet) as part of that decision. ultimately I elected to drop out the "mast" invention, covered it with a cube, going with the thematic reasoning, the card stated we "realized some of our plans were unrealistic" so I decided that as one of those unrealistic ideas.

Regardless I am loving this game more every time I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.