Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It says you spend an action and pay 20 gold to get 5 points.

20 gold at the end of the game is 4 points.

So spending this action gets me 1 point.

Not having played the game, that seems hardly worth it, especially since you remove your flexibility of spending (essentially) 1 point for a sword in a crucial situation.

Am I missing something?
What's your experience with the Gold Hoarder Bonus?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Stoltzfus
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was something changed during development, and I don't really get it either. I think the theory behind it was that it would "protect" your gold from any effects that could steal it from you, but to me and everybody I've played with it's just straight up not remotely worth it.

I'd recommend playing with the gold amount as a pre-requisite - similar to how the other bonus tokens work. If you go to the Northlands with, say, 30 gold you can take the token, but you don't need to actually pay that gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, ok, if the designer says so, I guess I'll give the "30 gold as a prerequisite" rule a try.

Thanks for being so active on the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Stoltzfus
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my opinion I'm sure there's people who play with and enjoy the rule as it is.

I'm not saying that a "30 gold prerequisite" is a silver bullet for fixing it, but I think it's more in the spirit of how I intended it. It was intended to be an alternate path to victory for a player who just wants to sit atop a pile of gold and watch the world burn.

Thank you for your interest in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm...I assumed that the reason for this rule was because the "30" number on the board was a physical upper limit, and that if you ended up with more than 30 the only way to not lose that extra gold was to spend 20 and get the token, which would then drop you down the table so you can get more gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Vickery
Australia
Canberra
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
60 gold is the limit. See the "Note" on p.4 of the rules: "If a player gets more than 30 gold, flip the shield marker over to its +30 side and keep counting the gold. If they drop below 30, flip it back to its normal side. A player cannot have more than 60 gold."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.