Subject: Trade Agreements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Molloy
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played a couple of times now I have a question regarding Trade Agreements.

The rules state that you can revoke your agreement at anytime however to give back a trade agreement you must betray them.

If you revoke a trade agreement would the "partner" simply not do the same immediately?

I can not think why they would keep theirs in play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as long as they have it, they can still request passage through your sectors, and as long as they cancel their trade just before resource generation, you wouldnt have any benefit from it ie they could let you hold it the whole turn up, using ot for movement, to the start of the recharge phase and then take it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In addition to what angelsenior said, I can certainly imagine that the Ferengi might have an advancement which prevents other players from retrieving their trade agreements from the Ferengi so long as they have one of the Ferengi's trade agreements.

In any case, I suspect the full weight of that rule will be revealed in some later expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
they can still request passage through your sectors, and as long as they cancel their trade just before resource generation, you wouldnt have any benefit from it ie they could let you hold it the whole turn up, using ot for movement, to the start of the recharge phase and then take it back.

I'm not sure that's correct, unless I'm misinterpreting the rulebook. On page 6 of the rulebook, it states (bold emphasis mine):
Quote:
You are considered to be at Peace with any player whose Trade Agreement you currently hold. This allows you to ask permission to move through and into Sectors containing their Ships

To me, this means that when you retract your trade agreement from the other player, they are no longer permitted to ask you for permission to travel though sectors containing your ships, because they're no longer holding your trade agreement. So like the original question of this thread pointed out, there's really no reason for them not to immediately take theirs back as well. If they leave theirs with you, it gives you the ability to ask them for travel permission, not the other way around.

This whole one-sided trade agreement thing is just weird in general. How is it possible for one faction to be at peace with a second faction, yet the second faction is at war with the first? It's just all very odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fuller
msg tools

I have a follow up question with regards to Trade Agreements - when you first give a player your trade agreement, am I right in thinking they are not obliged to give you one back. Again I don't see why this would ever happen currently, but as far as I can see you don't have to exchange one for an other, it can be one sided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I see no reason to require an exchange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Trades can be one sided. An example of this would be to give someone a trade agreement in exchange for some other negotiation agreement, like not attacking you, or helping you against another player. Of course, promises are non-binding like in every game of this nature. But if they violate the agreement, you can of course immediately revoke the trade card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.