Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I love history, especially Canadian history. As such this game immediately appealed to me. Then when I played, it blew me away! The board is a gorgeous map of the main conflict area. The other components are top quality too. The game play is super easy. The dice tell you everything you need to know about combat. No charts or graphs or any other craziness. I love this game!

1812: The Invasion of Canada can be played by 2-5 people. There are five factions that work together on two teams. There are the good guys: the Canadian Militia, the British Regulars, and the Indians protecting Canada's freedom. Then there are the forces of evil: the U.S. Regulars, and U.S. Militia. Each faction has its own unique deck of movement and action cards that they will use on their turn. Fog of war is created by drawing turn order out of a bag each round, to a maximum of eight rounds.

The game is dynamic, as armies move, and areas of map are gained and lost. To win, one side has to control more specially marked areas of import on the other side of the border than their opponents. Ties are possible. The game could last up to eight rounds, as I said, but could end as early as three. This is because there are Treaty of Ghent cards, which are also movement cards. When all Treaty of Ghent cards are played on either opposing side, the game ends at the close of that round.

1812: The Invasion of Canada is beautifully made, and very well thought out. It's not complicated, and not overly long to play. If you are at all interested in Canadian/North American history, like light war games, or strategy games in general, I can't recommend this enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
With respect, Canada was a single theater of operations. I'd say activity in the Atlantic was much more important myself.

Still excellent game, and the depiction from the POV of Canadians on that war *which is markedly different from the US perspective) is a marvelous change of pace from the US-centric wargames I'm used to on North American conflicts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.