Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

During my first play I have found test with a 1 after the semicolon. Is the meaning of the test the same also without specifying 1?

Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number following a semicolon denotes how many successes you need so:

"(eye symbol); 3" would equate "test observation, three successes necessary to pass".

If the semicolon isn't present, then the number is a modifier to the number of die rolled (and will generally be accompanied with a plus or minus symbol as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So "(eye symbol); 1" and "(eye symbol)" are the same: I need at least a success. Or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Farley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
doktoreas wrote:
So "(eye symbol); 1" and "(eye symbol)" are the same: I need at least a success. Or not?

Generally, if the test symbol has a number after the semi-colon it means you need x number of successes (elder signs on dice) to pass and the narrative on screen will tell you what happens when you pass or when you fail.

If there is no number after the attribute symbol then you usually type in the number of passes you achieved into the app (there should be a small section with a + and - symbol either side of the number with the word 'submit' underneath) and the app will then tell you what the effects are after you have submitted your # of successes.

Don't know whether other people's experiences are different to mine but this is generally what has happened whilst I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doktoreas wrote:

Lee addressed this, but just to be 100% clear: you are correct, those two are equivalent. FFG has just taken the convention of being explicit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leedavidfarley wrote:
doktoreas wrote:

Generally, if the test symbol has a number after the semi-colon it means you need x number of successes (elder signs on dice) to pass and the narrative on screen will tell you what happens when you pass or when you fail.

If there is no number after the attribute symbol then you usually type in the number of passes you achieved into the app (there should be a small section with a + and - symbol either side of the number with the word 'submit' underneath) and the app will then tell you what the effects are after you have submitted your # of successes.

Don't know whether other people's experiences are different to mine but this is generally what has happened whilst I've played.

Thanks for both messages
There's also the "negate" case where there is no number and every success will negate a damage card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
doktoreas wrote:

The functional difference here is that "(eye symbol);1" is a yes/no question. "(eye symbol)" is a how-many question--whether it's how many damages did you negate, or how much did you search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.