10 Posts

Star Trek: Frontiers» Forums » General

Subject: What to choose ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
danutzek danutzek
Romania
flag msg tools
Hello ! I haven't played this game or Mage Knight and I would like to buy only one of these 2. I know that Star Trek is a little more friendlier regarding gameplay than MK,so I tend towards this one,but on the other hand I find the look of Star Trek really not on my taste. There are a lot of dark colors everywhere you look in opposition to the bright colors of MK. I like both fantasy and sci fi themes,so the question is what to choose : MK who looks better or Star Trek,who is a little bit easier? As I said I tend towards Star Trek because I am a total newbie,but those colors are killing me.

Thank you !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, you can be confident that either choice is a good one. They are both great games.

It seems to me that the only functional difference at this point is that Mage Knight has lots of good expansions already available, because it is an older game.

Personally, I love the components of Star Trek: Frontiers. The only tiny complaint I have is that location symbols on crew cards are sometimes a bit hard to see with my middle-aged eyes. Other than that, the look of the game contributes to the space opera feel of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Not to be Snarky, but it sounds like you're almost answering your own question, as you've already highlighted the differences. Now you only need to decide.

You already know that Frontiers is "friendlier" (i.e., it's been reported as being slightly lighter or more streamlined than MK). So what do you prefer in a game? ... Something with a bit more weight, or a lighter game?

Mage Knight looks better to you. OK. How much does that matter, again to you? (Robert has a different opinion, if you wish to use his opinion to modify your own).

But one thing you haven't shared, is which theme appeals to you the most?

Me? I'm a theme guy. I don't care how good MK is ... I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole only because of its theme. Star Trek OTOH... I'm there! I bought Frontiers because MK was (is) reportedly a superb game and I love the Star Trek theme. Thusly the decision to buy Frontiers was a no-brainer!

So where do you sit on the theme spectrum? Again for me, my love of the theme overrode any negative opinion of the component's muted/dark colors. So I didn't let the component quality even factor into my decision. It was a Star Trek-themed Mage Knight. End of discussion!

For you though, it sounds like the colors may be a "show-stopper" for you. If that's indeed the case - and since you didn't mention having any appeal to the Star Trek theme - it sounds like you answered your own question.

Just an observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danutzek wrote:
Hello ! I haven't played this game or Mage Knight and I would like to buy only one of these 2. I know that Star Trek is a little more friendlier regarding gameplay than MK,so I tend towards this one,but on the other hand I find the look of Star Trek really not on my taste. There are a lot of dark colors everywhere you look in opposition to the bright colors of MK. I like both fantasy and sci fi themes,so the question is what to choose : MK who looks better or Star Trek,who is a little bit easier? As I said I tend towards Star Trek because I am a total newbie,but those colors are killing me.

Thank you !

About the art, one thing that is cool in Frontiers is that the basic cards in each Ship's deck have different images. In Mage Knight, the basic cards are the exact same picture for every hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
which theme appeals to you the most?

QFT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorondor The Lord of the Eagles
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Star Trek Frontiers brings out the theme nicely with stills from the show, but they are against a dark background and slightly poor quality at times. Mage Knight has all original artwork, that in my opinion is incredibly well-executed. The theme in MK is of course a generic fantasy theme that was invented specifically for the game, so would not be as memorable as Star Trek. But I think MK does a very convincing job of creating a fantasy theme that works perfectly with the mechanics.

As for complexity, Star Trek is roughly 70-80% as complex as MK. However, many of the aspects that make MK more complicated simply make for more replayability and additional strategies, so it is actually not much harder to learn. I would argue that since learning the game is going to make up a much smaller portion of the total time you spend with a game (especially if you play it often), you should go with MK. The looks of a game are going to be noticeable every time you play it, so will be appreciated more in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very, very , very similar games. Star Trek isn't Mage Knight 2.0; it just might be Mage Knight 1.05. Possibly.

For me, it's slightly easier and more streamlined, so if I was buying one I'd lean slightly towards Star Trek. But there are parts that don't quite gel with me, so theme-wise and presentation-wise Mage Knight has the edge. Gosh darn it, flip a coin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's important to keep in mind that Star Trek: Frontiers has no expansions yet. This accounts, in part, for its slightly less complex reputation. Some of Mage Knight's complexity derived from additions to the system that came AFTER the base game was released. We can likely anticipate a similar destiny for STF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with the theme you are more interested in. I did not care for the Mage Knight setting but I really enjoy the Star Trek setting. It looks also like one could easily port the changes from Mage Knight to Star Trek and vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.