Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really interested in this game but am having a really hard time finding out any solid information about it. I've seen it mentioned that there may be a kickstarter coming up but no clear idea of when. While some others have said that the game will just be going directly to retail.

Can anyone provide some concrete information? Kickstarter or not? Is the game really a long ways off or just a few months? I saw some photos on Academy Games Facebook page showing the game being demoed at Dice Tower Con. Can anyone provide some feedback as to how the game plays or what they thought of it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
I am not in the know but I have heard that 879 and 1754 conquest are both basically finished and are ready for publication. I think the Mare Nostrum kickstarter success knocked Academy back a bit production wise. I wish they would post the rule books and show us some card art. 1754 is now on preorder so I don't think it will kickstart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Adam! The photos I saw of the 879 demo at Dice Tower Con made it look like all of the art and design were completed. It definitely didn't look like they were playing with a prototype version. That's why I'm surprised that there is so little information available.

Heck my thread appears to only be the second one on the page so far. It seems there is very little hype or interest. Since it's been demoed at Cons, and no one has chimed in about playing it worries me a little. Hopefully like you said they just got set back by the success of Mare Nostrum and we will start seeing some reviews or rules soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am so ready for 879! I too have been expecting some info, especially a batrep from Gen Con as the game looks complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i too have been waiting for some info...any info...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all.

There will be a Kickstarter for Vikings within the next couple months, if all goes well. 1754 will be offered on the same KS.

Should have the product in the warehouse in Ohio by 1st Quarter of 2017.

We're still messing around with the rulebook layout, so until its more solid we won't be posting that... sorry to report.

But we will get more stuff posted!

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the information Tim! I'm glad you are spending significant time on the rule book layout. To me nothing hurts a game more than a rule book that's hard to understand or follow. So please take your time on the rule book, I personally don't mind waiting on it.

What I would really like to see though is a brief game play video showing a couple of turns. I really don't know anything on how the game plays. All I have been able to make out so far is that it's a historical war game with a viking theme. I haven't been able to figure out anything in regards to the mechanics. A brief video or written turn explanation would really appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
trakes wrote:
Thanks for the information Tim! I'm glad you are spending significant time on the rule book layout. To me nothing hurts a game more than a rule book that's hard to understand or follow. So please take your time on the rule book, I personally don't mind waiting on it.

What I would really like to see though is a brief game play video showing a couple of turns. I really don't know anything on how the game plays. All I have been able to make out so far is that it's a historical war game with a viking theme. I haven't been able to figure out anything in regards to the mechanics. A brief video or written turn explanation would really appreciated. Thanks!

I'm sure, when the time comes, they'll have an awesome video breaking down a round of the game just like they had for Mare Nostrum Empires. That was an excellent video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DISCLAIMER: The following is based on a play of a prototype

I can't comment on distribution, but I can comment on the gameplay. It is clearly in the 1775/1812 system, but definitely has a very distinct feel, much more distinct then the current two games (1775 and 1812). The Viking player(s) has leaders which allow them to chain attacks together. If they win on the first roll, it does not count as an attack. They also land with huge invasion forces, make the flow of the game feel very different.

One big change is that there are established reinforcement points for the Anglo-Saxon player(s). This means that a lot of the tactics involves trying to take certain spots on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim there will be a video that will show some game flow, although I don't think it will be a full 2 turns I'm afraid.

Ian is spot on with his short review. It uses the same base system as 1812/1775 (and soon to be 1754) but has some special twists including army leaders, berserkers not retreating, militia coming out when Vikings attack towns, lots of little tweaks that make this a very different game. In addition to the reinforcement changes Ian pointed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People use anachronistic names for regions of land all the time (The Roman invasion of France for instance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be all for changing the name to 879 Vikings: The Invasion of Britannia not only for more accurate historical reasons but simply because I think it sounds a bit better but I would assume that the game is already too far along to change it since I believe it's expected to be in the U.S. Warehouses in the first part of 2017.

Are we any closer to knowing when the Kickstarter is going to happen? I need to start budgeting so I can be part of it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
trakes wrote:
I need to start budgeting so I can be part of it. Thanks!

Just remember the 3 rules; Beg, Borrow or Steal Raid! It is a
Viking game after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it at GenCon, as they had the prototype there and were running events. Like the other posting said, the Vikings double up with another faction and both invade. A lot of territory is lost by the English during those invasions. Certain land areas are important reinforcement points for the Anglo-Saxons (2 factions), so they are the focus of the Viking targets. Invasion and land acquisition targets are not determined by those reinforcement areas as there are numerous land areas that produce reinforcements. But over many invasions, the protected Anglo areas get fewer and fewer. Like 1775/1812, there are treaty cards, and like those two games, once they are played out by both sides, the game ends...otherwise it goes 7 turns (I think it was 7). If the Vikings get "X" number of reinforcement land areas by the time the treaties are all played, they win. The English really have their work cut out to keep that from happening. It is chaos in the extreme...Viking hordes. The English have to hang on. Lots of opportunities for attack on both sides, though the Vikings will have a free hand on offense whereas the English will have to choose their battles by opportunity. I played with another guy as the English. The Vkings were in a Win spot when the last treaty came out, but we had last turn. It came down to a die roll for one last territory..it was that close.

Definitely a winner. If you liked 1812 or 1775, mechanically similar but so much more chaos as the Viking horde, or fighting back the Viking horde.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Crowther
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on a Kickstarter date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
worthdot wrote:
Any update on a Kickstarter date?

And can we still purchase 1754 as an add on to that Kickstarter, or do I need to pre-order it thru Academy?
Also,

1) If 1754 can be added to the KS campaign for 879, will backers get their copy the same time as those who pre-order 1754 thru the Academy site?
2) Will the 1754 KS version have the same "Limited Edition" components as the pre-order version?

(BTW, I can't find a thing about 879 on the Academy website. Is it still scheduled for kickstarter/release soon?? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like they listened - this game is now called 878: Vikings in Academy's winter catalog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:
looks like they listened - this game is now called 878: Vikings in Academy's winter catalog
is the catalog "info only", or is there any ordering info provided?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
BenjaminHester wrote:
is the catalog "info only", or is there any ordering info provided?

not sure - it *reads* like you can pre-order it at $70 now. That's confusing, especially in light of previous mentions of a Kickstarter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Duncan
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of today, when I go to the Academy Games website, this game doesn't show up anywhere except in their catalog. I just got 1754 in the mail and there is a flyer included, one side of which is for 878. On the other is a list of Academy games and their prices, including 878 (for $70) plus something called "When Whales Fight - 1950 Korean War" (for $75). Both have an asterisk by them, but there is no place on the sheet where any explanation exists for what an asterisk next to a game's name means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Uwe has been giving updates on Academy Games facebook page. Last time I checked they were waiting on the promotion video for the Kickstarter. He said it wouldn't start until the the end of February.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.