Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state:
Quote:
Note that you MUST pick up a good if you can, but you can not pick up more than one good each time you visit a city.
Shortly after, they state:
Quote:
You may also pick up one good from the city where you start your move.

This caused some confusion for us. Does "start your move" mean the beginning of your turn, or the beginning of the game? In other words, can you pick up a good when ending your turn in a city, and another at the beginning of your next turn, when leaving it? The first quote seems to say "no", but the second seems to imply "yes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carmilla wrote:
The rules state:
Quote:
Note that you MUST pick up a good if you can, but you can not pick up more than one good each time you visit a city.
Shortly after, they state:
Quote:
You may also pick up one good from the city where you start your move.

This caused some confusion for us. Does "start your move" mean the beginning of your turn, or the beginning of the game? In other words, can you pick up a good when ending your turn in a city, and another at the beginning of your next turn, when leaving it? The first quote seems to say "no", but the second seems to imply "yes."

The basic rule is as shown in your first quote, "you can not pick up more than one good ...". But then note the word "also" that I have highlighted in your second quote. That is your permission to pick up another good just as you describe, "at the beginning of your next turn, when leaving ...".

The rules also follow immediately with one more sentence worth adding here,
Quote:
This is the only time when picking up a good is optional.

because that helps emphasize the status as a special case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That was my interpretation, but I had players who thought the exception was only for the first turn of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Gould
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I'm sorry this was unclear. But it is correct that you can pick up one good from the city at the end of a turn, and then pick up another good from the same city at the start of your next turn.

Of course, between your two turns all other players have the opportunity to pass through your city and pick up goods there. So by the time you start your next turn the good you wanted may not be there any more.

- Kris Gould
Wattsalpoag Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.