Subject: First play through issues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Clements

Dallas
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first family session of the game this weekend, just the three of us. We had played the first edition only twice before about two years back with someone else running it for us. We considered occasions one of the very best work in the experiences we have ever had. But we never purchased the game because we all wanted to play it and didn't want to have one of us running it for the others.

After several hours of prep work to get the game ready, plus time reading through the many useful posts here, and including components from our recently purchased but never played first edition (!) --which we told the app that we had --we anxiously started the game.

We selected the first scenario offered, the Vanderbilt Mansion mystery one. We immediately ran into issues when the three characters we chose were not listed among the 12 options shown by the app. So we had to switch characters out. Is there a reason why we couldn't pick our own characters for this first scenario?

The game was good and interesting, but we made some major rule mistakes that almost wrecked it for us. First, for almost half the game we misunderstood that the move action allows you to move up to 2 spaces, and we instead were using it to move only 1 space (1) or else taking one action and then only moving one space. Uggh.

Second, we stupidly forgot to hit the end turn button!
For the first three turns, we alternated taking our two character actions, wondering the whole time why the game wasn't doing anything after our searches. Once we remembered to hit the damn button and go to the mythos phase, to make up for it we skipped two turns taking no action and allowing the game to hit us with two mythos phases in a row. Ouch.

Something odd we noticed though, after we killed our first creature, the game gave us some interesting flavor text about it how it died. But, from then on throughout the game every creature or opponent that we later dispatched simply disappeared without any flavor text whatsoever. Is this normal?

If so, it was very disappointing. There was no acknowledgment from the app just a statement asking whether or not we wanted to remove the creature.

At one point my wife asked why the app wasn't recording the location of our characters or the creatures, to which our child answered, "Well, if it did then we'd be playing on the app instead of the table top." So true.

Anyway, despite the headaches that were mostly self-inflicted out of inexperience, we enjoyed the game and look forward to playing again. Using the app on an iPad Pro sitting on a stand was pretty flawless.

Oddly, when we finish the scenario and took a look ahead at the upcoming scenarios to decide what when we might play next time, it only showed just four options. Do you have to complete these before being offered the others?

...Played on one of our many nice velvet game mats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"Because the ultimate purpose of crime is to establish the endless empire of crime."
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnC1783 wrote:

Oddly, when we finish the scenario and took a look ahead at the upcoming scenarios to decide what when we might play next time, it only showed just four options. Do you have to complete these before being offered the others?

Such an innocent question. Soon, a small army of 20-something-year-olds with lots of disposable income will come to correct you and tell you how much value you're actually getting, and how much value you're going to be paying for in the future.

Before that happens, however, let me just say that I had the same reaction as you had. Where are the other scenarios? But that's it, just the four, and they don't change that much on return plays.

FWIW, my game group plays at what I consider a pretty pacey speed, and all the scenarios have taken twice as long as advertised. Which means the longest scenario, running at 8-plus hours, may never get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you added all the first edition sets that you were trying to use then the app should have allowed you to play as any of the investigators you have. This is the first I've heard of this issue occurring.

As for the flavor text when the monster died...the only time I've ever seen flavor text for a death is if it's a monster that is central to the story. Other than that you won't receive flavor text for a monster death.

As for the scenarios...the game only comes with 4. Those 4 will have some variation in the map layout and the way it plays out with repeated plays.
Fantasy Flight has announced 2 more coming in the fall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnC1783 wrote:

We selected the first scenario offered, the Vanderbilt Mansion mystery one. We immediately ran into issues when the three characters we chose were not listed among the 12 options shown by the app. So we had to switch characters out. Is there a reason why we couldn't pick our own characters for this first scenario?

You chose 1e characters from the conversion kit, but didn't tell the App you own one of those sets. If you don't own them, you can't play them unless you want to proxy the tiles somehow if they show up.

If you do own 1e, you tell it you own them, but it doesn't sound like you do.

JohnC1783 wrote:

Second, we stupidly forgot to hit the end turn button!

Oops.

JohnC1783 wrote:

Something odd we noticed though, after we killed our first creature, the game gave us some interesting flavor text about it how it died. But, from then on throughout the game every creature or opponent that we later dispatched simply disappeared without any flavor text whatsoever. Is this normal?

Yes, I don't recall any text for defeating monsters at all. It might do that for certain special cases where the monster is part of the story.

JohnC1783 wrote:
At one point my wife asked why the app wasn't recording the location of our characters or the creatures, to which our child answered, "Well, if it did then we'd be playing on the app instead of the table top." So true.

Smart kid.

That's one of the more clever designs here. I guess the Descent app did the same thing. They struck a nice balance IMHO.

JohnC1783 wrote:

There are only four so far at all. The next two are coming with the 1e expanstion kits, but they're aimed at people who own 1e sets or are buying the kits, so if you're not into that, and they're pretty expensive, you're going to be waiting a while for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnC1783 wrote:

Do you mean the miniature reference at the beginning of the game didn't reflect your choices? That's a known issue, and entirely cosmetic. In my game yesterday (first and only thus far) my partner had this happen, but -- later in the scenario -- Mythos event text did reference the character by name, so the game recognized her existence despite what it displayed at the beginning.

But, to answer directly, you should be able to select any character for any scenario.

*edit: Oh I see, you were using 1E elements. I missed that implication.

JohnC1783 wrote:

Another reason would be the gameplay would be increasingly fiddly and demanding. If missing the "end turn" button almost threw a wrench in things, imagine if you missed or messed up location information for the monsters and investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy

Highland
California
msg tools
mb
One very important thing to do before playing any game is to read and fully understand all of the rules before playing. It'll make the experience much better for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnC1783 wrote:

If you were offered 12 characters it sounds as though you might have accidentally registered one of the 1st ed. expansions by mistake. The 1st edition base set has 8 investigators, which with the 2nd edition investigators would give you 16 choices. Whereas the 1st ed. expansions only have 4 characters each giving a total of 12 characters as you found. Check your registration again, there are separate registrations for the 2nd edition, 1st edition base, Forbidden Alchemy expansion, and Call of the Wild expansion. You should only have the ones that you actually possess enabled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
As for the scenarios...the game only comes with 4. Those 4 will have some variation in the map layout and the way it plays out with repeated plays. Fantasy Flight has announced 2 more coming in the fall.

For which you'll need to buy the expansions, at $50 a piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:
As for the scenarios...the game only comes with 4. Those 4 will have some variation in the map layout and the way it plays out with repeated plays. Fantasy Flight has announced 2 more coming in the fall.

Unless you have 1st edition already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

thebaker1983 wrote:
Jan Tuijp wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:

Unless you have 1st edition already.

Indeed. But my remark was directed at the OP:

JohnC1983 wrote:
But we never purchased the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
GorillaGrody wrote:
JohnC1783 wrote:

Such an innocent question. Soon, a small army of 20-something-year-olds with lots of disposable income will come to correct you and tell you how much value you're actually getting, and how much value you're going to be paying for in the future.

Before that happens, however, let me just say that I had the same reaction as you had. Where are the other scenarios? But that's it, just the four, and they don't change that much on return plays.

I agree with this, except without the snark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oops! mis-read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clements

Dallas
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
Counting hours of entertainment we'll get from it as a family, it works out quite acceptably for us both as collectors and gamers.
Can't wait for the Suppressed Memories expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clements

Dallas
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
Thought I'd read there were more.

I double checked, we did indeed correctly tell the app we have 1st ed. It shows we have it. It still only allows us 12 characters. The right side button doesn't respond again after the second group appears. Weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clements

Dallas
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
Yeah, confirmed we did tell the app we have first edition. I'm looking at it on the app screen right now still sitting there.

We found the app play pretty smooth.
No hindrances or interference with the suspense and tension.
We even referred to the notes section a few times to confirm what had happened.
The puzzles were good to play too.
Wish there was more flavor text and sound though.
I suspect they will improve things with player feedback.

Maybe they can offer additional downloadable special effects the way some games offer higher sound and graphic options.

J.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clements

Dallas
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

Another reason would be the gameplay would be increasingly fiddly and demanding. If missing the "end turn" button almost threw a wrench in things, imagine if you missed or messed up location information for the monsters and investigators.

Yes, good point.
It's interesting how the app really dies just act as a bookkeeper and not an AI. It served its role and it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
deekerston wrote:
One very important thing to do before playing any game is to read and fully understand all of the rules before playing. It'll make the experience much better for you.

Yeah, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clements

Dallas
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the "reading of all the rules" ...it's the retaining of all the rules.

As Jerry Seinfeld would say, "and that's really the most important part of the rules, the retaining of them. Anyone can just read them."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GorillaGrody wrote:
Soon, a small army of 20-something-year-olds with lots of disposable income will come to correct you and tell you how much value you're actually getting, and how much value you're going to be paying for in the future...

Or us 40-somethings who just find it a good value as it's already given us hours of fun time with our son...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.