Hide
15 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: This or the earlier Pandemic game first for new players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Venables
msg tools
I've been thinking of buying this game as a present for a friend (and then playing it with them!), due to it's top ranking on BGG and sounding a very interesting game. I've read that there is an earlier game of Pandemic though, which we have never played either.

Would it be best to get the original Pandemic first, or would it be fine (and it seems an improved version) to go straight into the Season One game?

I know this one is only a once play through type game, but with 12-24 sessions it would be a great experience as each game follows on from the last. So that doesn't bother me too much, but I'm thinking it might be best to play Pandemic first to get the hang of the concept, I don't know what do people recommend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Owen
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can just buy pandemic legacy and play a regular pandemic game with it before diving into the legacy format introduced. the rule book shows you how to set it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook recommends and provides a mechanism to play "non-legacy" mode, so it should be ok. (There is a section called "If you've never played Pandemic...")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Pandemic legacy can be played as "normal" pandemic before you start the legacy deck. If you've never played before, you'll probably want to do this a few times, so that you get your head around the basic strategy of the game.

I will say, I don't really care to play pandemic that much, I don't find it particularly interesting. Pandemic Legacy, on the other hand, has been amazing. The way the game changes as you go adds so much, we're half way through, and I can't wait to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Venables
msg tools
Ok thanks. So if you can play a basic version of the game, is that very similar to the regular Pandemic game? And would that have replay-ability like the original. But once we start the Legacy game though you would need to go through with the whole game, so the game then becomes limited to the 12 game months play?

I have found Pandemic less than half-price online compared to Pandemic Legacy, this is why I'm unsure otherwise I would have bought the Legacy version without question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swfcdan wrote:
Ok thanks. So if you can play a basic version of the game, is that very similar to the regular Pandemic game?

Yes, it's the same.

Once you start using the legacy deck though, the board/rules/components change.

If your new, I would play at least 3 games of base before starting the legacy deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
To be completely precise:

• Before you begin playing Pandemic Legacy in legacy mode, you can use it to play a few games of "vanilla" Pandemic, and this is actively encouraged if you're unfamiliar with the game.

• Vanilla Pandemic played with a Pandemic Legacy set is a comparable experience, but is not 100% identical to regular Pandemic. However, this is more of a problem for people who approach Pandemic Legacy thinking they can skip reading the rules because they already know Pandemic.

• There is an omission from the rulebook: When playing in vanilla mode, you have a funding of 5.

• Once you have begun playing the legacy season, you can no longer play in vanilla mode. (Well, you can if you fudge it, but this gets progressively more difficult.)

• When you have completed the legacy season, you're finished and the game is no longer playable. (Though, again, various people have posted unofficial suggestions for how to play vanilla Pandemic, how to continue from where Season One left off, or how to "reset" the game so you can re-play the legacy season.)

For your purposes, it sounds like you'll be fine if you buy Pandemic Legacy. And will have an awesome time. (-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One of the most significant differences between an unmodified Pandemic: Legacy board and base Pandemic is the addition and removal of a small number of connections between cities.

This has the effect of making each disease's territory a little more balanced with each other without affecting gameplay drastically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Avoid this game. It's a co-op. Games were you get to compete against other players at the table are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Avoid this game. It's a co-op. Games were you get to compete against other players at the table are better.

That's not at all subjective. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
clydeiii wrote:

Avoid this user; he's uncooperative. Users who offer insightful views are better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Tsuchiyama
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Two more things.

Start using only four Epidemic Cards, it's "beginner" mode in the standard game.

The Legacy board has a road from Santiago to Buenos Aires. Makes travel much easier.

And the non-Legacy version has these cards as part of the Player Deck:
One Quiet Night
Resilient Population
Government Grant
Airlift
Forecast

And I'm not very good at math.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
You can start with four Epidemic cards if you like, but there's probably no need, especially for keen gamers who've played plenty of other games.

Pandemic Legacy in vanilla mode is a little easier than normal Pandemic: you get to choose which events to put in the deck after seeing the initial infection, and you then get to choose who takes what character having also seen what cards everybody's been dealt.

My advice would be to try five Epidemic cards and see how you go. If it's a practice game, it doesn't matter if the world goes to hell in a handbasket, and you can always try again with four Epidemics if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen it in this thread, but the base Pandemic rules have been uploaded to BGG by user Outside Lime:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/27536/pandemic-rules-perm...

Although you can use the rules pages that come with Pandemic: Legacy to play the base rules, you have to pick through a lot of Legacy-related text to do so. I have found that using this copy of the base rules linked above makes it much easier to set up and play the base game before eventually getting around to using the Legacy stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Be very careful!

Pandemic Legacy in non-legacy mode is not the same as normal Pandemic.

The rules for dealing with outbreaks are far more precise in Pandemic Legacy, to deal with what order things happen in. This affects how much collateral damage there is when a chain reaction outbreak is about to lose you the game. Also, the setup is somewhat different, giving you various choices once you've seen the initial infection, and then again once you've seen the players' initial hands of cards.

Also, pay attention to all the places where little additions have been made throughout the regular Pandemic rules, such as naming diseases when you eradicate them and naming characters the first time you play them. Notice which parts of the rules now say "structure" instead of "research station" and which parts still say "research station". And so on.

Playing Pandemic using the Pandemic Legacy rulebook may be trickier, but you're storing up some difficulties for later. Having seen some of the mistakes experienced Pandemic players have made by overlooking the differences, I'd say it's better to learn from the Pandemic Legacy rulebook if you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.