Hide
3 Posts

The Resistance: Avalon» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Great fun and no-one gets left out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Anonymous
msg tools
I like this game because it is great fun and involves all players at all times. When you first explain the game it sounds complex but after a few games everyone will understand the mechanics. Working out which players are which characters is much more difficult. This is a great game and I thoroughly recommend buying it.

Playing as a normal good guy is the most difficult and least fun in my opinion. You start with no knowledge about any other players and must interpret a lot of information to deduce roles. I often don't manage this and usually find myself in the dark when playing this role.

Playing as a bad guy is the most fun in my opinion. You know who the other bad guys are and work together to fail quests. Sometimes this means getting the good players to trust you. Sometimes you will allow yourself to be discovered to protect the identity of another bad guy.

Playing as Merlin is in between the two. In my experience it's difficult for the normal good guys to work out who Merlin is and therefore trying to guide them is difficult. Especially as you don't want to expose yourself to the bad guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glad you are enjoying the game!

As I understand it, the game was based on the Mafia concept, but trying to eliminate the downside of the fact that in Mafia games, eliminated people have to sit out and wait. So the game seems to have accomplished that much!

For explaining to new players, personally, I found it easiest to explain it "backwards" - start with explaining that the game is decided by winning 3 of 5 missions, then explain mission success/fail cards and the outcome, then explain the nomination and voting process, and lastly explain the roles and information. I think intuitively people go in the reverse order, because the different roles are really what make this game distinct - but it's really tough to try to follow someone explaining what Morgana does before you understand how missions fail or succeed.

In terms of roles you enjoy or don't, I think it sometimes helps to consider Avalon as actually people playing two (or more) different games at the same time. Playing as a generic Red is really a distinct game from playing as generic Blue. Most people will have a preference for different roles, and that makes sense - we have people in our playgroup that really love deduction, but don't really enjoy deception, and vice-versa. Obviously the game doesn't function if people get to pick roles, however - so I sort of bear the games where I get a role I enjoy less as part of the cost of playing the game, overall.

Specific to being a generic Blue, in my experience this is actually a very important role - the game outcome heavily hinges on whether these players are able to successfully figure some of the game out. I think playing the role well, and feeling more comfortable with it, does come with experience. One suggestion would be to observe a game that you aren't playing, and since you know the roles (based on the pre-game reading), you can observe and try to get a sense of what the different players do in each role and why. This will help give you better cues and actions to look for when you do play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HexStarDragon wrote:
For explaining to new players, personally, I found it easiest to explain it "backwards" - start with explaining that the game is decided by winning 3 of 5 missions, then explain mission success/fail cards and the outcome, then explain the nomination and voting process, and lastly explain the roles and information. I think intuitively people go in the reverse order, because the different roles are really what make this game distinct - but it's really tough to try to follow someone explaining what Morgana does before you understand how missions fail or succeed.

I start out with the characters, but just names and good/bad etc, then go to the aim of the game, selection for missions and voting, then playing success/fail cards, and finally go back to the characters to give a bit of (very) basic strategy for how each character should (generally) play.

One thing I always stress is that it's a team game: particularly if you are a generic good guy. You need to be trusted by your teammates, even though you don't know who they are. You are likely to cost your team the game if you: (a) go too random with your team selections, (b) fail to listen to anyone's advice (even taking advice from the wrong person is probably better than ignoring everyone), and/or (c) vote for early missions that you are not on.

But becoming a good player can take quite a while: you need multiple experiences of each individual character to fully understand all the options available, and what usually works, what never works, and what works sometimes and why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.