Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a solitaire war game experience.

Both Conflict of Heroes and Combat Commander seem the right amount of complexity for me.

That said, which plays better solo?

For CoH, I would be playing with the solo expansion, so keep that in mind.

Maybe this makes it a no contest, as technically, CC does not have solo rules, but I would love to hear input.

I have not played either game, so keep that in mind as well.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
badge
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
I am looking for a solitaire war game experience.

Both Conflict of Heroes and Combat Commander seem the right amount of complexity for me.

That said, which plays better solo?

For CoH, I would be playing with the solo expansion, so keep that in mind.

Maybe this makes it a no contest, as technically, CC does not have solo rules, but I would love to hear input.

I have not played either game, so keep that in mind as well.

Thanks!

For overall game system, Combat Commander is still my top game.

However, you have to manage two hands and play against yourself -- doable and fun, but some don't like that.

Having the Solo AI of the CoH series is excellent and feels like a real opponent.

So I would say that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Not speaking about solo-ability...food for thought...

I prefer CoH over CC in general. CoH in my opinion, has less luck involved and has a satisfying feel to it. I like how I have points to spend and I can spend them how I feel and the only luck is the die rolls from attacks. I feel like I have more control over my strategy.

I tend to get more frustrated with CC. Not only are you dealing with the luck of the "die" rolls, but there is also the luck of getting a good/bad hand of cards, and random events which could randomly foil a plan. I feel like my strategy is a nice thought but a pipe dream, because it's not going to play out like I want and will require constant modifications.

CC has a TON more variety and interesting scenarios to choose from. But I can honestly say, not sure why I decided to collect the whole series I will never find someone to play them all with. I want to have CC scenarios with CoH rule set.

CC also has a more interesting narrative, if you can deal with the constant element of not knowing if you will be able to bring a plan to fruition, and possibly losing a game to random happenstance, it tells a better story.

Ohh and CC has a steeper learning curve, you can be playing CoH in an hour or so and feel confident about playing the game right. CC takes a lot of rules referencing at first and although the rule book is good the base rule-set is dense.

for solo play... go CoH, it has a well designed solo system. Solo with CC you would be forcing a square peg into a round hole. Or look into the many designs of J. Butterfield such as the D-day family of games. They are some brilliant hex and counter solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
For true solitaire play (you competing to win vs an AI opponent, as opposed to you playing both sides and just watching the story unfold), CoH is the only option of the two proposals CoH and CC (and luckily it's a good fun option), since indeed CC (like most tactical games) has no solitaire system.

---

PS: If you want a simpler WW2 tactical solitaire game (man-to-man only, no vehicles like CoH has) there is Combat Leader: Solitaire Module, which has much simpler rules (both the base game and the solitaire system). I had fun with it, but be aware it's from a small publisher and so is less physically impressive for the price (e.g. you'll mount and cut the counters yourself).

(I think CoH solitaire is a richer experience, but CL does have the virtue of simplicity, almost no rule confusion/ambiguity (which is a problem with CoH solitaire - be ready to do your homework in the CoH Solo rules forum!). And I always finished a CL game in under an hour. So it's a different quicker simpler solitaire experience.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoH is the way to go for solitaire, and I say this as someone who loves CC and very much dislikes CoH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how did something happen.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game of all-time is CC. I also owned and played CoH for awhile but let it go in favor of CC.

THAT SAID, CoH would be far easier to play solitaire without a doubt as I've played both solitaire.

If you can find an opponent, get CC on your table! It never fails to provide a tense situation and generally plays right down to the wire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh I might just get both. CC looks really good, even if I do have to play both sides.

Still, the AI built into CoH also looks like it would be a lot of fun. I guess I am wondering what replay-ability is like for these games, from a solitaire POV?

I have the game "Ambush!" which is a paragraph driven solitaire WW2 game, and since you keep track of stats game to game, it makes want to continue playing.

That said, the rulebook is exhausting. And there is tons of paragraph checks that bog down gameplay (though not a huge issue for a solitaire game).

Do CC/CoH have any kind of campaign rules? I could probably research that myself, but figured I would be lazy and just ask you guys...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Cutner
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play CC a lot as a solo experience. It really works well for me. You just need to be resolute about the decisions made. If I decide to use a 'move', I can then decide to check the opponents hand for 'op-fire' options. If I do that, I stick with the prior 'move' regardless. The events make everything just that more exciting and unpredictable. Certainly a simple game to solo and enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Combat Commander (in my opinion) is less complex rules-wise than Ambush, but from what I gather, more complex that COH. I am also a solitaire war-gamer, though I also have some regular opponents, and I really have enjoyed my solo games of Combat Commander. I looked long and hard at COH, but in the end, CC seemed to more accurately reflect the difficulties of getting your men to do what you want. Plus, I'm an Up Front player, and Combat Commander really feels a bit like Up Front with a map. Many rules are similar, so it's easier for me to pick up after a while of not having played and get right back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off topic, but both have random scenario/firefight generators, although you will have to purchase it separately for CoH. CC's is included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick, you MUST play Ambush! It is the best solitaire experience ever!!!!
Don't get frightened by the rulebook.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HEEREN Xavier
Belgium
Liège
Lièe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
I spent a few hours yesterday trying to flesh out a solo idea for CC.

There is a good system proposed on these boards already btw.

do this system working on vassal ?
Could you give here a link ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.