$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Dust 1947» Forums » General

Subject: Any rumors on disappearance of Dust Chronicles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, it has been well over a month since the Dust Chronicles/Dust News site went down, and then was erased. The immediate story was that the site had to recover "old files". Did the individuals involved simply get tired of maintaining the site? I thought it odd that the whole thing goes under (including Dust Chronicles) just at the time that the contributors on the site had come up with a 100+ questions list regarding the new rules.

There was a reasonably active set of contributors (far more than here, for instance), so I regret seeing one of the last functioning places for Dust gamers to meet up disappear into the void. I hope it is not a final canary in the coal mine situation.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yeah same here. Would be a shame if it dies off. I was also wondering about the status of the unofficial rules update for Warfare. Is that still a thing or has that faded away?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My understanding is that there is one set of rules for both grid and non-grid versions of the game with slight variations between them. Everything is in a single rule book now.

warfinger wrote:
I was also wondering about the status of the unofficial rules update for Warfare. Is that still a thing or has that faded away?


Anyone know anything that I'm not aware of?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wait! What are you trying to say about us BGG'ers?

Skiprydell wrote:
There was a reasonably active set of contributors (far more than here, for instance), so I regret seeing one of the last functioning places for Dust gamers to meet up disappear into the void. I hope it is not a final canary in the coal mine situation.


I wonder if this is tied to the supposed movie deal that Paolo got. Usually when these things happen, a lot of the fan supported areas are cut off so the movie producers get free reign over what and how things are shaped and developed.

Just a bit of rumor contribution
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. Hadn't thought of that one. Of course, like the vast majority of movie deals, it will probably come to nothing. And take ten years to do so....

The Dust Rumors site was simply easier to use (and obviously vastly more focused) than BGG. Lots more discussion of rules/tactics/units. And there were no haters, so conversations could proceed in an adult fashion. I really don't understand why it would be shut down, but even the facebook fanclub seems to be slowly fading. (Just an impression, as I don't do facebook).
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No haters is always a bonus.

Adult conversations +1

Skiprydell wrote:
And there were no haters, so conversations could proceed in an adult fashion. I really don't understand why it would be shut down, but even the facebook fanclub seems to be slowly fading. (Just an impression, as I don't do facebook).


I'm not on FB either, and I usually get information from there second hand through some of the helpful guys on here.

Let's try to make this a hub for all things Dust 1947 so that we can help each other out in case things go down the toilet again
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warfinger wrote:
Yeah same here. Would be a shame if it dies off. I was also wondering about the status of the unofficial rules update for Warfare. Is that still a thing or has that faded away?


The Warfare updates are still under active development but like a lot of Dust stuff only communicates through Facebook (it has no other official 'home' on the internet and I doubt Dust Studios is going to host anything for it).

At the frequency updated cards keep appearing in my Facebook feed it is still moving along. I haven't bothered getting the Dropbox access needed to review the rules so far so can't comment on the state of them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skiprydell wrote:
Interesting idea. Hadn't thought of that one. Of course, like the vast majority of movie deals, it will probably come to nothing. And take ten years to do so....


I don't think the movie will ever come to anything. The IP is unknown and the studios lose millions on well known IP these days. To do justice to the DUST world you'd have to create good looking walkers, and that can be expensive via props or CGI. Anything less and the poor graphics and unknown IP (with very limited story space to explore) won't excite any hollywoo executives.

Maybe we'll see some cheap animated story at some point. Dust would actually do better if they got their comics out again, kept releasing new ones, worked on good novels and maybe supported an animated series themselves. Then they'd have a good pool of IP to pick from to excite the movie executives to actually do something.

I'm still hoping for my live action Robotech movie and I figure that has more name recognition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one made a Robotech movie yet...There isn't even a Japanese (live action) movie for the original Macross series.

I remember hearing about AT-43 working on a TV animated series before their parent company went under. I met one of the animators that was working on it in Vancouver. He sold me a box of terrain that he was given to use when doing the 3D modeling.

Also, there was an AT-43 video game in the works, but they did Confrontation first. If I remember correctly, the game was released by Studio Cyanide which is based out of Montreal (Canada). You can check out the Confrontation video game here.

There is still hope out there for a Dust 1947 animated or live action movie.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
EyeLost wrote:
warfinger wrote:
Yeah same here. Would be a shame if it dies off. I was also wondering about the status of the unofficial rules update for Warfare. Is that still a thing or has that faded away?


The Warfare updates are still under active development but like a lot of Dust stuff only communicates through Facebook (it has no other official 'home' on the internet and I doubt Dust Studios is going to host anything for it).

At the frequency updated cards keep appearing in my Facebook feed it is still moving along. I haven't bothered getting the Dropbox access needed to review the rules so far so can't comment on the state of them.


Thanks for letting me know. I hope when they do a release someone will post the updated Warfare stuff here. I don't have a FB account...
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of using BGG as the go-to forum for the everything related to Dust 1947. Count me in!
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus G
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone missed it: The new Dust Monthly can be found on www.dustmonthly.com and they have also just started up a new forum.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for sharing Dust Monthly Magazine with us

I like it, but I'm not sure how I feel about having yet another forum that may or may not be taken down in the future. I think BGG is a much more stable platform for us to use knowing the rocky history of Dust 1947 (aka: Dust Tactics, etcetera).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.