$30.00
Samurai Munky

Westford
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some weird rules interactions came up in our last game. Effectively, both situations come down to a distinction of do you resolve movement in its entirety before anything happens or as you are moving, triggered effects happen immediately.

Scenario 1.

Nicole is in a square with an acolyte and exits the tile to go into another square with an acolyte. When exiting the square, she takes 1 wound. This triggers her special ability to destroy an acolyte in the tile she is in.

Which acolyte would be destroyed?

The acolyte in the square she left or the acolyte in the square she 'lands' in?

Confusing aspect: The wound is caused by acolyte in starting tile, so it makes sense that nicole would "take no shit" and destroy that acolyte. However, if the move has to be completed before any new interaction resolves, then nicole would be in the tile she moved to and kill the acolyte there.

Scenarios 2.

Thorley enters a district with fire tokens. This district has a city ability to heal 2 wounds. Thorley has 4 wounds on him.

When thorley moves to the district does he have time to use his city action token before the fire tokens are rolled for?

Confusing aspect: If thorley is in the district and being susceptible to fire, then he is in the district and able to use the city action token. However, one could argue that the fire he walks through to enter the district damages him before he gets to the area inside where the city action token could be used.

thanks for any help on these issues

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the exact wording of Nichole's ability I can't say for sure, but I'd say the ability triggers at the moment of leaving the space, so it will apply to the tile that the space is on (Not sure about "tile" in this instance, as an intersection can be on four tiles, but maybe that's how it plays).

On the subject of fire damage during movement vs activating the city action, I would say you take any damage first. Rolling for fire/corruption damage is part of the movement, and you can only activate city actions between movements, not during them. This suggests to me that you could not interrupt the full resolution of the movement to use the city action. I would say the same for a character with four wounds wanting to step out of a street space with a monster in it, to go to an interior with healing actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samurai Munky

Westford
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
Without the exact wording of Nichole's ability I can't say for sure, but I'd say the ability triggers at the moment of leaving the space, so it will apply to the tile that the space is on (Not sure about "tile" in this instance, as an intersection can be on four tiles, but maybe that's how it plays).

On the subject of fire damage during movement vs activating the city action, I would say you take any damage first. Rolling for fire/corruption damage is part of the movement, and you can only activate city actions between movements, not during them. This suggests to me that you could not interrupt the full resolution of the movement to use the city action. I would say the same for a character with four wounds wanting to step out of a street space with a monster in it, to go to an interior with healing actions.

Nicole's ability for reference: Take no shit - Whenever you take 1 or more wounds, you may destroy an acolyte in your space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Trigger ability in the space of the token that caused the wound.

Tokens roll before city action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC the rule book explicitly states that city actions may even be taken between space movements. However, I do not think that this would prevent Thorley from taking the fire damage due to a check before taking the city action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
"city actions may even be taken between space movements"
This means you can move 1 space, take city action, move 1 space. (Assuming you are a 2 move max Hero)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between movements isn't during a move, so you have to resolve the move (ie travel from one space to one other space) completely before being able to do a city action. Thanks to others for the clarification- I noticed when I pulled the game out last night that Nichole's ability references spaces not tiles. It's the space the wound came from, in my view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This made me question a simpler scenario:
A hero with a cop and 4 wounds exits a district with a fire in it into a street space. He rolls for the fire and dies. Which space does the cop go? The district or the street?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hero died in the district with the fire token in it, if that helps to answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.