Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Europe and Asia maps are on the ADG web site available for download.
There are differences. Ethiopia is on the Asian map.
Some new charts on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
What stands out to me are the additional rail lines and a couple of extra cities in the industrialized parts of European Soviet Union.

And the revised off-map boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the yellow hex outlines in Germany and China?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been able to stomach the game since those neon mountains were introduced. I know, a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for providing the image and link. I have been waiting to see what they look like.

Here's what I noticed:

-With all of the additional off-map hexes in Africa, there are no partisan numbers changes on many of the African nations. I would have expected this to be a major change, requiring the colonial powers to tie up significant numbers of territorials and/or forces to keep the peace.

-Sweden and Norway really look chubbier in this version.

-France gets a hex from Belgium, to set up better against German blitz.

-The silk road is represented on the map in China, just a few buildable hexes away from Russia.

-Russia now has ports and roads north of Vladivostok to set up the historic lend-lease direct from the US across the northern Pacific.

-cheap invasions of Australia now have to go through the Tasman Sea instead of the Coral Sea (no island off of the coast north of Brisbane)

-Faeroe Island makes an appearance.

What else?

All in all, it looks like a good set of changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The new African off-map boxes look like the ones from Fatal Alliances 3. They worked reasonably well for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The latest rule set has a partisan roll for all countries in Africa (most anyway)that lets the side with initiative pick which African country gets Parts. So all those extra hexes will give you a place to start them.

Great Comments...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep looking, more gems to be found. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the city in the Ukraine's 3 resource hex. It has a real name now, lol.

Minor ports sprinkled across the map.

Check out the road in China

ADDED:
What's with the beer mugs? New kind of resource. Will the Japanese have Saki?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sea access to Sicily has changed, and that for Malta too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
txaal wrote:
What are the yellow hex outlines in Germany and China?

Looks to me like country borders or start lines for post WW II scenarios. I don't know the situation in China immediately following WW II, but certainly in Germany those are the borders of West and East Germany.
Edit: There are some in India also, showing the borders of Pakistan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a hex for Andorra now too.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Just seeing if you are paying attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fargofootball wrote:
What's with the beer mugs? New kind of resource. Will the Japanese have Saki?

Are you referring to the orangish-brown blotch in Canberra? What is that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect those are wifcon locations, and ownership confers the right to reach for another beer.

Also, kwalajein is now a better airbase, no extra hex to fly over to get into the surrounding sea areas.

On the African partisan question, there don't appear to be any partisan values on the African colonies, is that a mistake? Otherwise, no point in having Africa on the partisan table (Egypt and Algiers, possibly Belgian Congo, are the only possible partisan targets I can see)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petsamo based Finns can now attack into two different off map hexes to break into the Kola peninsula.
On the defensive, there is an additional Swamp hex before reaching Finland proper.
So better defence and offense for the Finns

The layout of Belgium means they are screwed completely on the german surprise impulse.

Bonin Islands got one hex smaller, fewer Japanese LBA to fight for the USA.
Guam is now important, not Saipan.
Truk is now with Large hexdots close to it from several sea areas.

Last three things making it harder for the USA to ensure a battle against the Japanese fleet as they can "hide" in Bismarck sea area and still provide support to Truk, also adding defensive shore bombardment (mandatory in RAW8).

Just a few observations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Singapore is now a FORTRESS! Only 1,5 hex to attack from or commitment of the two japanese WP MAR.

Taking a good defended Singapore just got a lot harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It always was a fortress, but now you only get one hex from Malaya (plus the straight hex side to Sumatra) as an attack, it changes some of the Japanese options - unless they go for an invasion from the Bay of Bengal of course.

And, am I imagining it or is London now invadable and Calcutta isn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
Jes Nogger wrote:

And, am I imagining it or is London now invadable and Calcutta isn't?

Good eye - Yes London is invadable, and yes Calcutta ain't.

Also a couple of ports in southern England are now cities as well, making them reinforcement spots (and easier to defend vs Sea Lion).

The location formerly known as Blagxxxxxxxx is now gone - which will hurt the Soviets over there a lot with supply and reinforcements (though the addition of Ulan-Ude helps a little).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Also, Portsmouth is now within range of the ME-109s.

Also it appears that Telok Hetong in NEI is no longer a two-area port, which puts all of the oil in NEI only accessible from the South China Sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

The location formerly known as Blagxxxxxxxx is now gone - which will hurt the Soviets over there a lot with supply and reinforcements (though the addition of Ulan-Ude helps a little).

Will the Russians defend both Vladivostok and Khabarovsk in force => no place to put reinforcements on Pacific map?
Will the Russians defend weakly in one or both cities => potentiale loose the pacific map or at least be left with just one city (Khabarovsk?) that can be reinforced?

Hard to be Russian if Japan DoW on them in '39.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freiburger
Canada
flag msg tools
So many subtle, but meaningful changes. I am loving the new map and cannot wait to play it.

Personally I think the two most impactful changes involve the changes to Belgium/Netherlands and Norway.

In RAW7 it is often a bad idea to attack the Netherlands first because the allies can usually secure Rotterdam. Therefore it often makes sense to attack Belgium directly before attacking the Netherlands. Now with these changes it looks like it makes a lot of sense to attack the Netherlands first, or perhaps at the same time as Belgium (how historical!).

This is a welcome change as it also likely means Germany will not get stuck in Belgium as often as they currently do if they get a bit unlucky. (That said, I'm not sure what this means for a France First- will it be too easy now?)

As for Norway, the map changes + rule changes I think finally make it practical for Germany to attempt an invasion. I think/hope there is enough incentive for Germany to try it. Could make for some interesting strategic choices that simply were not there in RAW7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2,5 hexes on Amsterdam, Germany can take out Holland in snow or rain.
Add the new oil rules in which railing ARM, MECH, HQ do not cost anything, Germany can take out Holland in J/F 40 with too much focus.
Same goes for Belgium in M/A as you basically do not need FINE weather in order to take out the low countries. Then you suddenly have all of M/J and J/A to beat up the French.

Jesper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black_Lancer wrote:
So many subtle, but meaningful changes. I am loving the new map and cannot wait to play it.

Personally I think the two most impactful changes involve the changes to Belgium/Netherlands and Norway.

In RAW7 it is often a bad idea to attack the Netherlands first because the allies can usually secure Rotterdam. Therefore it often makes sense to attack Belgium directly before attacking the Netherlands. Now with these changes it looks like it makes a lot of sense to attack the Netherlands first, or perhaps at the same time as Belgium (how historical!).

This is a welcome change as it also likely means Germany will not get stuck in Belgium as often as they currently do if they get a bit unlucky. (That said, I'm not sure what this means for a France First- will it be too easy now?)

As for Norway, the map changes + rule changes I think finally make it practical for Germany to attempt an invasion. I think/hope there is enough incentive for Germany to try it. Could make for some interesting strategic choices that simply were not there in RAW7.

Good observations! These are clearly on the short list of most important changes; I think I might also put the change to the map in Belgium/Holland first. Norway is very important now, although it is hard to take Narvik for Germany.

But there are many other profound changes. Submarines are much more deadly against convoys, the Battle of the Atlantic is now very real! I thought this was the weakest part of WiFFE 7, but now it will be series and s aided to the struggle of the actual war. Oil is a major change. Important changes to US entry.

Take it all in and enjoy, a lot of changes are subtle and put together, change your strategies and options. I'm loving it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Relooking over the map today, I noticed that Palembang is now on the Bay of Bengal as well as the South China Sea. This exacerbates a problem in RAW 7, which left unclear which of the two beneficiaries (Japan, CW) of the NEI would get which oil (RAW7 rules say the NEI must provide..., IIRC). Unless the wording has changed, if the CW gets first choice they can transport the oil directly off the coast at Palembang and save themselves 2-4 convoy points in setup. On the other hand, if the Japanese get first choice they can claim that and make the CW get the oil from Borneo. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.