Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game of Black Plague last night. It went fairly well, but one thing that felt off was once you hit yellow and start spawning 4-6 zombies at once... how are you supposed to deal with that?

I know of course there's Dragon Bile and Torch, we had to pull that pretty early to take care of an early abomination, which is what launched us into yellow. We never pulled another Torch, the rest were all towards the bottom of the deck. I was getting ready to house-rule allowing Fireball to ignite it.

I went a little lax with the rules at the end to allow several people to get a victory in the last possible second, but we should have died to the nonstop double-activation's from the horde as we ran out of Walker figures. I was surprised that none of the spells seemed to affect more than one target.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Survivors should be able to kill greater and greater quantities of zombies as they learn new skills and acquire new weapons. Luck of the search deck can have a big impact on how easily you adapt to rising danger level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
When a weapon (like a spell for example) has you roll multiple dice it kills one zombie for EACH die that rolls over the target number.

For example the Repeating crossbow rolls 3 dice and hits on a 5+.

Rolling 4, 3, 1 would result in ZERO hits.
Rolling 6, 5, 2 would result in two hits.

The value of multiple dice is never added together.

Edit: weapon damage is also never cumulative, a one damage weapon can't kill fatties or abominations, a two damage weapon can kill fatties but not abominations, a three damage weapon can kill anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also you can attack multiple times a turn. So for instance, that repeating crossbow is 3 dice each attack. If you've been searching a bunch and using trade actions to set up all of the characters on your team, you might even be dual wielding them, so 6 dice per attack with a 5+ (so roughly 2 hits per attack). If you're 1 away at the beginning of your turn and you are in yellow you could do 4 attacks, which would translate to 24 dice total, for an average of 8 kills. 12 if you've equipped Silas that way (with his +1 on each attack dice, he hits on 4+ with those weapons).

Once you've played this game a bunch you'll realize that it's mostly a game about positioning yourself and manipulating the horde with noise making and hero visibility. You don't want to spend 3 actions moving and 1 action doing a melee attack in a crowd that will likely get you killed when you could instead position yourself one away this turn and wait for them to get to you next turn and do 4 melee attacks (per character... don't split the party!) in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
short answer: Repulse spell. Use it until you've found the torch/dragon bile that you need.

When you have enough of them in one square: Dragon Bile + Torch

There are other skills on some characters too that can mow down hordes, like iron rain and barbarian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Linna
Finland
Helsinki
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't hurry too much. Try search better weapons for everyone. Common mistake what can do that one guy is big level (use inferno too much too early exsample) and others are blue or just get yellow level and dont have better weapons. And offcourse dont go alone to kill zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
Linssi89 wrote:
Don't hurry too much. Try search better weapons for everyone.
mrsuitcase wrote:
short answer: Repulse spell. Use it until you've found the torch/dragon bile that you need.
Guys, I think our OP made a simple mistake of adding the value of all the dice rolled for an attack together...
TyDeL wrote:
I was getting ready to house-rule allowing Fireball to ignite it.
TyDeL wrote:
I was surprised that none of the spells seemed to affect more than one target.

I don't think he needs the advanced strategy advice, just a simple introduction to Zombicide and what it does different then most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A) each die of an attack roll can kill a zombie if it rolls well enough. Example: fireball rolls 3 dice, and hits on 4s.
This spell has the potential to kill 3 zombies (if all dice come up four or better)

B) how to deal with hordes.
Step 1) bring Klom.
Step 2).....
Step 3) profit
:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Griner
United States
Byron
Georgia
flag msg tools
Black Lantern Leslie Nielsen is going to tear out your heart for Necron!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skills like Barbarian, Iron Rain, and Mana Rain allow you to use the number of Zombies in a target zone as the number of dice you roll instead of what the item's Die number. Just make sure you have an attack item that has a high enough damage for whatever zed type is in that zone.

Also, these dual wield attack items with high Die numbers can help...
-Repeating Crossbow
-Ice Blast
-Fireball
-Disintegrate
-Chain Lightning (which also has Roll 6: +1 Die)
-Inferno (assuming that you can aquire a second Inferno Vault Item card)
-Earthquake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Clansman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The ultimate destructive weapon is someone with the "Iron Rain" skill armed with the Chaos Longbow from Wulfsburg (four hits in one roll = Dragon Fire").

Even "just" combining it with a character who gets "+1 to dice roll", "+1 die" and/or "Free Ranged/Combat Action" give you an excellent chance to cause much burnination...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Clansman wrote:
The ultimate destructive weapon is someone with the "Iron Rain" skill armed with the Chaos Longbow from Wulfsburg (four hits in one roll = Dragon Fire").

Even "just" combining it with a character who gets "+1 to dice roll", "+1 die" and/or "Free Ranged/Combat Action" give you an excellent chance to cause much burnination...!

This is incredibly true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:

I have to agree with this. Shove too helps with crowd control, just make sure you target the runners first (melee ftw).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers everyone! Sorry for the delayed reply, I missed the notification for the thread in my feed.

Melriken wrote:
When a weapon (like a spell for example) has you roll multiple dice it kills one zombie for EACH die that rolls over the target number.

For example the Repeating crossbow rolls 3 dice and hits on a 5+.

Rolling 4, 3, 1 would result in ZERO hits.
Rolling 6, 5, 2 would result in two hits.

Okay, this is a big missing link. It's not obvious in the rulebook. We actually started playing this way when one person got a crossbow that rolled two dice, but halfway through the game I went to check it in the rulebook and it didn't seem to work that way with their wording.

I wasn't adding them cumulatively, but I thought it was just better probabilities at getting ONE hit.

It seemed silly to me that spells would only hit one zombie.

mrsuitcase wrote:

When you have enough of them in one square: Dragon Bile + Torch

There are other skills on some characters too that can mow down hordes, like iron rain and barbarian.

Never saw Repulse Spells, we only ever found one Dragon Bile, never had any abilities that said they'd affect multiple zombies. We searched often, I checked the deck afterwards and all of the torches were at the bottom, so that was just bad luck.

Definitely sounds like we should include a character with Iron Rain next time.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.