J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Trump on Monday is also expected to propose creating a new, ideological test for admission to the country that would assess a candidate's stances on issues like religious freedom, gender equality and gay rights. Through questionnaires, searching social media, interviewing friends and family or other means, applicants would be vetted to see whether they support American values like tolerance and pluralism.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/dab801a6d01341ee8f0a52a2b41ed...

This seems problematic as Americans are divided on what those issues actually mean and what those rights define.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to see the answer book for this test, laughs, wonders who determines what the "right" answer is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel a great disturbance in the force, like a million faces palming at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Yeah. That's a losing issue.

Seriously. Whatever values you choose as being "good" ones you lose Americans who don't agree with those values (given that he's choosing ones on totally not at all controversial topics like gays and religious freedom) and along the way you lose people who hold to the actual American value of not thinking that you have to have a certain set of views to be American.

The great irony is that Trump always bemoans political correctness and now he would literally be creating a political correctness test for immigrants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Seriously. Whatever values you choose as being "good" ones you lose Americans who don't agree with those values (given that he's choosing ones on totally not at all controversial topics like gays and religious freedom) and along the way you lose people who hold to the actual American value of not thinking that you have to have a certain set of views to be American.

The great irony is that Trump always bemoans political correctness and now he would literally be creating a political correctness test for immigrants.

I agree. Terrorism is a valid value, and the US is totally to blame for this value. It must be a respected value amongst people who would put you, personally, on their first-to-be-stoned-to-death list.

Brilliant idea this. Nothing like singling out a religion to make them feel more isolated and create an atmosphere where it is easier to create terrorists. Tell me, who is using your family's brain cell at the moment, it looks like you need it back desperately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! A cad perhaps, but no bounder.
mbmbmbmbmb
The test questions

Question No. When I become president all the people who voted for me to be drafted without pay to help build my wall , do you consider this an honour?

No.2 are you a rich white guy willing to give ma slice of the pie?

No.3 Does Mr Putin consider you a personal friend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

I agree. Terrorism is a valid value, and the US is totally to blame for this value. It must be a respected value amongst people who would put you, personally, on their first-to-be-stoned-to-death list.

Brilliant idea this. Nothing like singling out a religion to make them feel more isolated and create an atmosphere where it is easier to create terrorists. Tell me, who is using your family's brain cell at the moment, it looks like you need it back desperately

I hope you're being sarcastic because I certainly wasn't.

I am all for filtering out Christian and Buddhist terrorists from Christian and Buddhist nations that sponsor terrorism, too

I am not being sarcastic, as this idiocy is only being trotted out to appeal to brainless cretins, because all it will do is make the situation inside the country poisonous enough to create new terrorist and make some of the external allies we need hesitant to help.

Less security so your can indulge in your loathsome bigotry is not really a good trade off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

I am all for filtering out Christian and Buddhist terrorists from Christian and Buddhist nations that sponsor terrorism, too

I am not being sarcastic, as this idiocy is only being trotted out to appeal to brainless cretins, because all it will do is make the situation inside the country poisonous enough to create new terrorist and make some of the external allies we need hesitant to help.

Less security so your can indulge in your loathsome bigotry is not really a good trade off

I read an article about a computer program that submitted nonsense to a journal and was published. Do you represent Phase II of this project, unleashing well punctuated babble throughout the Internet ?

Since you answer none of my points, I think it is more likely you are the beta version of the Bigot-Bot 5000

So lets try again, you wish to opine how creating a poisonously bigoted atmosphere for a religions minority does anything but feed your rather vile prejudices cupcake?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Quote:
Trump on Monday is also expected to propose creating a new, ideological test for admission to the country that would assess a candidate's stances on issues like religious freedom, gender equality and gay rights. Through questionnaires, searching social media, interviewing friends and family or other means, applicants would be vetted to see whether they support American values like tolerance and pluralism.

This seems problematic as Americans are divided on what those issues actually mean and what those rights define.

"gender equality and gay rights" are now bad?

How about honesty?

"More than a third of asylum applications are being made by migrants who are illegally in the (UK) or have overstayed their visas."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/false-claims-clog-up-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Thank you for visiting the United States of America, the bigliest, most beautiful, most tremendous country in the world! It’s really the best, I'm telling you. Before we can process your application, we here at the United States Center for Admitting Classy People and Keeping Out the Bad People would like you to answer a few questions.

1. What is your net worth?
A. Little people (takers)
B. Big League Deep Discount Trump/Pence 2016 donor
C. BIGLY TRUMP 10 BILLION DOLLARS

2. Take a look at the picture below.

Hot, or not? (Seriously, she's like a 3 on a good day.)

3. Do you have violent tendencies?
3a. If so, would you like a job?

4. We would like to scan your social media accounts for any references to "tiny hands". Please enter Facebook login/password here: XXXXXXXXX

5. The white people have had it rough, let me tell you. Would you like to join a special EXCLUSIVE club to have power in this country, for special Trump Loyalty Points?

6. Do you know a gay?

7. Are you a member of the Khan family, or other members of ISIS?

8. Are you a rapist, criminal, criminal-rapist, or some other kind of Mexican?
8a. I like those bowls you guys make that you can eat. When you're not having anchor babies.

9. Do you know this nuke stuff?

10. Pluralism is:
- a political system in which two or more competing philosophies/beliefs coexist
- fine as long as it's proper Real American conservative principles and stuff at the end of the day, I'm telling you

That's it! Just submit this questionnaire to the United States Center for Admitting Classy People and Keeping Out the Bad People, and in 6 weeks Chris Christie should be along to tell you one way or the other. Or we send the Seals to kill your family. You never know.

#WINNING #TRUMP2016
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Quote:

So you are ok with terrorists slipping by immigration authorities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Quote:

Well, to be strictly fair, the article doesn't specify what the correct answers to those questions are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Quote:

How about honesty?

"More than a third of asylum applications are being made by migrants who are illegally in the (UK) or have overstayed their visas."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/false-claims-clog-up-...

I'm not sure you can directly apply UK figures to the US.

However of those 84,000 nearly 23% of them were given asylum when they did apply. The majority of rest were most likely visa-overstay issues. These could be ex-students - who are allowed to stay and work for a period of time after their degree course.

However one of the key factors in not applying for asylum is the rhetoric that Trump is now employing. If you are getting an anti-immigrant message either in general, or with respect to your religion or country, then you are not likely to have trust in the system and more likely to stay without applying for asylum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Quote:

This proposed test isn't about catching terrorists. It's about only allowing immigrants that meet a certain political ideology.

What if the question was: do you support same sex marriage?

What would you answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

And Terrorism has sod all to do with things like gay rights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

I read an article about a computer program that submitted nonsense to a journal and was published. Do you represent Phase II of this project, unleashing well punctuated babble throughout the Internet ?

Since you answer none of my points, I think it is more likely you are the beta version of the Bigot-Bot 5000

So lets try again, you wish to opine how creating a poisonously bigoted atmosphere for a religions minority does anything but feed your rather vile prejudices cupcake?

Answer your questions?

Sorry, I didn't see a question mark.

Nor a coherent sentence.

Sorry I said point not questions. I can't help it if you cannot recognized the difference between words

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Quote:

This proposed test isn't about catching terrorists. It's about only allowing immigrants that meet a certain political ideology.

What would you answer?

Why do you think it's only about political ideology? I think you are assuming it will be that, when Trump has stated it actually is about vetting immigrants who truly do not share American values.

And as a bonus: Muslims don't support same sex marriage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Quote:

What would you answer?

Why do you think it's only about political ideology? I think you are assuming it will be that, when Trump has stated it actually is about vetting immigrants who truly do not share American values.

Do you?

What are the American values that will be tested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

Well, I mean, honestly? Neither does a large segment of the American population. Can we kick them out of the country for being unamerican?

I mean, I'm all for us considering gay marriage and all that as a true part of American ideology, but that's because I believe it is right and correct. With that in mind, it is easy to see why this sort of thing is worrying: what if we start sneaking more debatable things in there and aren't actually importing individuals who match "American" values so much as individuals who match specific "American" values.

Sorta the same argument that goes alongside the idea of protecting unpopular speech.

Like I said, honestly, I wouldn't mind it if done correctly. But then I'd want to be God-King of America so the country could be run right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Quote:

What would you answer?

Do you?

I was born an American. Apparently, it doesn't matter what I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Quote:

What would you answer?

Do you?

How am I supposed to read this? "Poor me, no one wants to vet my values to determine if I'm 'American'. Dumb Muslims get to have all the fun"?

Please, correct me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Quote:

What would you answer?

Do you?

I just asked you, why won't you answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Quote:

What would you answer?

Do you?

I just asked you, why won't you answer?

I don't see how my position is relevant to the conversation. Actually, I find it troubling that you are using this tactic to try to disqualify me in your own eyes.

But here is my answer: "Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." 1st Conrinthians 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
I don't see how my position is relevant to the conversation. Actually, I find it troubling that you are using this tactic to try to disqualify me in your own eyes.

I'm not trying to disqualify anyone. I'm wondering how you would fare on the "American values" test if that was the question.

Quote:
But here is my answer

That's not an answer. It must be a very scary question. I hope if Trump gets elected immigrants don't have to answer the scary questions either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some interesting vetting history.

https://gborjas.org/2016/08/16/on-vetting-immigrants/

Quote:
...I’ve been interested in the historical precedents of vetting immigrants for a long time, and I was actually planning to write a couple of pages about that in We Wanted Workers. But in the interest of keeping the book short and accessible, almost all of that account quickly went by the wayside. If all those pundits were to just do a couple of minutes of googling before reacting, it would become very apparent very quickly that immigrant vetting has a very long tradition in American history. In 1645, the Massachusetts Bay Colony restricted the entry of paupers. One of my favorite examples is the 1917 Immigration Act, which listed the many traits that would make potential immigrants inadmissible, including:

All idiots, imbeciles, feeble-minded persons, epileptics, insane persons; persons who have had one or more attacks of insanity at any time previously; persons of constitutional psychopathic inferiority; persons with chronic alcoholism; paupers; professional beggars; vagrants; persons afflicted with tuberculosis in any form or with a loathsome or dangerous contagious disease; persons not comprehended within any of the foregoing excluded classes who are found to be and are certified by the examining surgeon as being mentally or physically defective, such physical defect being of a nature which may affect the ability of such alien to earn a living; persons who have been convicted of or admit having committed a felony or other crime or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude; polygamists, or persons who practice polygamy or believe in or advocate the practice of polygamy; anarchists, or persons who believe in or advocate the overthrow by force or violence of the Government of the United States, or of all forms of law, or who disbelieve in or are opposed to organized government, or who advocate the assassination of public officials, or who advocate or teach the unlawful destruction of property; persons who are members of or affiliated with any organization entertaining and teaching disbelief in or opposition to organized government, or who advocate or teach the duty, necessity, or propriety of the unlawful assaulting or killing of any officer or officers..of the Government of the United States or of any other organized government.

Even a century ago we were already filtering out people who had unwanted social traditions (such as polygamy) and had put in place ideological filters against anarchists, persons who advocate the destruction of property, and persons who believe in overthrowing the Government of the United States.

One can also get a lot of insight into the kinds of traits we do not want by looking at the application that green card applicants fill out today (Form I-485). Among the many filtering questions are:

Have you EVER, in or outside the United States:

a. Knowingly committed any crime of moral turpitude or a drug-related offense for which you have not been arrested?

Have you EVER:

a. Within the past 10 years been a prostitute or procured anyone for prostitution, or intend to engage in such activities in the future?

b. Engaged in any unlawful commercialized vice, including, but not limited to, illegal gambling?

d. Illicitly trafficked in any controlled substance, or knowingly assisted, abetted, or colluded in the illicit trafficking of any controlled substance?

Have you EVER engaged in, conspired to engage in, or do you intend to engage in, or have you ever solicited membership or funds for, or have you through any means ever assisted or provided any type of material support to any person or organization that has ever engaged or conspired to engage in sabotage, kidnapping, political assassination, hijacking, or any other form of terrorist activity?

Do you intend to engage in the United States in:

a. Espionage?

b. Any activity a purpose of which is opposition to, or the control or overthrow of, the Government of the United States, by force, violence, or other unlawful means?

Have you EVER been a member of, or in any way affiliated with, the Communist Party or any other totalitarian party?

Did you, during the period from March 23, 1933 to May 8, 1945, in association with either the Nazi Government of Germany or any organization or government associated or allied with the Nazi Government of Germany, ever order, incite, assist, or otherwise participate in the persecution of any person because of race, religion, national origin, or political opinion?

And, finally, here’s part of the oath that immigrants who wish to become citizens of the United States must recite at the naturalization ceremony:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty…; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law.

Is it really that big a stretch to add questions that would expand the filtering to reflect political and national security conditions today?

Going through the detailed filters in current law reminds me of the Renewal of Baptismal Promises that Catholics sometime hear at Mass. On those occasions, the priest asks a series of questions (Do you reject Satan? Do you believe in God, the Father Almighty? Do you believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son?), to which the participants respond “I do.” These questions essentially define what it means to be a Catholic. The immigration filters play a very similar role: They help to strengthen the social and political fabric of our country and they help to define the common set of values that distinguishes us as Americans.

So the next time you hear that Trump’s proposal for immigrant vetting are un-American, the correct response is that they are as American as apple pie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.