Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Interesting situation: Tojo resigned very late, Manchuria was not invaded by USSR. Could the US, anticipating that Manchuria would not fall under USSR control, send ground troops to seize both hexes instead?

I know it probably requires re-positioning of SWPac HQ but I don't see anything that could make it impossible...

But what happens if USSR does invade Manchuria after US capture?

Probably an academic question but I did run into this possibility recently.

Thanks!
B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head I thought that no units could enter those two spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
13.71 mentions that Allied units may enter "Chinese coastal hexes" but on the map the dotted border includes Mukden and Harbin, so not clear to me if this is allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those two hexes are part of Manchukuo. See rule 13.91
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bingo! Thank you. Obviously (at least for me!), a well-hidden rule in the Japan section, not in China's. Oh well. But why put Transport routes and Airbases in them???

Anyway, my question is answered, if the Soviets don't intervene Japanese Surrender is the only winning option for the Allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoitl33 wrote:
Bingo! Thank you. Obviously (at least for me!), a well-hidden rule in the Japan section, not in China's. Oh well. But why put Transport routes and Airbases in them???

It's prettier that way

Benoitl33 wrote:
Anyway, my question is answered, if the Soviets don't intervene Japanese Surrender is the only winning option for the Allies.

That's the dynamic. Essentially, Japan only surrenders if the strategic bombing goes on long enough AND the Soviets invade and declare war. You can't count on those happening for you so take measures to prepare for an Invasion of Japan if you have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tagore Nakornchai
United Kingdom
Putney
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still win a Blockade victory without a Soviet invasion of Manchuria. You do need to land in Seoul/Pusan and murder every single Japanese Air-ZOI granting step on the board by turn 10 though.

Still far, far easier than actually invading Honshu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steidl
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They are all viable paths to victory, but not equally so in every game. One of the things that makes the game so interesting is the differences in how things can unfold depending on the cards and strategic decisions of the players.

And one of the things that differentiates an experienced player is the ability to see, from the situation on the map and cards that have been played, what is likely to be the most productive path to victory. But even then, there is a lot of probability. It pays to keep all paths open as long as possible, and sometimes you have to make tough decisions.

Invading the home islands is fun, and an art unto itself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.