Firefly: The Game – Artful Dodger» Forums » General

Subject: Artful Dodger....how to get rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Since this booster is hard to find or out of print, any suggestions (other than eBay, which would be outrageous) to try to get a copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always have a go at D.I.Y.

Owners of the UK base game have the ship card but have to use a drive core from Osiris.

Unless one makes a copy for ones self... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Alrighty....a possibility....what's the specifics on the AD anyway besides speed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one of the boosters to get the drive core card, but that means I have a spare main ship card, ship mini and die which I'd be willing to sell to someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've heard rumors that this is slated to be reprinted, but haven't seen anything definitive myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
I've heard rumors that this is slated to be reprinted, but haven't seen anything definitive myself.

Would be nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Firedrake wrote:
I bought one of the boosters to get the drive core card, but that means I have a spare main ship card, ship mini and die which I'd be willing to sell to someone.

Besides the mini and ship card, any other game advantages? Pros/Cons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're not familiar with the stats, the Artful Dodger is arguably the best ship in the game.

Similar to the baseline Firefly with the following changes:

1) +1 Range on Core Drive (6 rather than 5)

2) +1 to Crew (Crew of 7)

3) -2 to Cargo Hold (6 rather than 8)

4) Higher cost (only relevant in setup like The Browncoat Way)

Especially if you're not using Browncoat Way, it's hard NOT to see the Artful Dodger as the best ship in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks gwek! eBay does have a couple pricey options....not sure if it'll be worth it or not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made one from an image that I think used to be posted up here, but after playing with the AD one time, I went back to using the generic Fireflies and other ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
ArionElquest wrote:
Thanks gwek! eBay does have a couple pricey options....not sure if it'll be worth it or not

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than list price ($15).

Anything more than that, and I'd just go the homemade route (print off the ship card image, snag the drive core from the osiris deck, and just use one of the regular fireflies to represent the AD when you play).

Buying it at list price supports GF9 and your FLGS (if you buy it there), but buying it for an inflated price off ebay doesn't really do either (unless it is your local game shop owner selling it on ebay, I guess).

But that's just me. (though I don't need to do any of that, as my FLGS had the ship pack on sale for less than list back when I was looking to buy it).

As for whether it is worth it game-wise, it depends on your playing style. It is good for Crime jobs, as you can add an extra crew member (plus it has extra range to get to your crime scene), and it still has a decent size hold (slightly smaller than the standard firefly, but bigger than the Interceptor) and a stash (which the Interceptor doesn't), so you can still do an occasional shipping or transport, even if it isn't ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are enough other ships out there (other games, etc) that if I didn't have the Artful Dodger, I'd probably mock up a card, grab a mini from another game, and make it a non-Firefly on my board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to compare value for money (in game, that is):

list price of Artful Dodger = $8500, with a Crew of 7
Exterior Cargo Pods = $600, to bring Cargo Hold up to 8 - same as a Standard Firefly
Total equivalent value = $9100

list price of standard Firefly = $7800, with a Crew of 6
Modified Radion Accelerator Mark II = $1200, to bring the range up to 6
Total equivalent value = $9000 and still 1 Crew less.

So for $100 more, the AD has an extra Crew "slot." I think that makes the Artful Dodger a bargain. IMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
UpStarter wrote:
You could always have a go at D.I.Y.

Owners of the UK base game have the ship card but have to use a drive core from Osiris.

Unless one makes a copy for ones self... whistle

I'm a fan of D.I.Y. myself, especially when OOP items lead to inflated prices. Someone shared a scan of the AD in another thread, I downloaded it, and here it is again. Making a ship card is relatively easy, and another ship mini from the 4 you already have will substitute just fine.
If you download the image, first click it, then select the original resolution (largest), save it, then print it to match the size of the other ship cards (about 10 inches long).
Glue the printed image on a scrap game board. Use a ruler and a rotary cutter (or razor) to cut it out...d.i.y. ship card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Went to the library, printed of the card and the AD and some "Sandfly" ship templates....mounted the engine booster on card stock and ship templates on foamboard and a layer of packing tape and Scotch tape over all to protect the paper..ship templates are perfect size ..the card is passable....jus going to wait to cut out the ship boards...will have 4 "small beginner" ships and the Dodger, getting the Esmerelda and Jetwash soon.

Found a deal on the custom ship models of three Fireflies, Reaver, and Alliance Cruiser. I'll get those and custom paint 2 for me n my girlfriend...figure that'll be enough time get Blue Sun and a custom deck like Local Color

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
It couldn't hurt to call some of your FLGS to see if they're still in stock, and most won't care much that it's out-of-print (especially because GF9 still lists it as pending reprint (though, during my hunt, one of the store reps I spoke to said that meant nothing when it comes to GF9)) and will still sell it at their usual price (which might be a bit marked up, but shouldn't be anywhere near the $60 it's going for on eBay.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Started looking for this today. Found a UK based place called Dicing on the Cake that had it for £7.

Sure the shipping for me was another 10, so there's that. Still beats the 2 Canadian sellers i found that were at 45 or 60 CAD..... =(

Anyhoo, just thought I'd drop a line to share this with y´all. =)

Keep flying.

Edit : Aaaaaaaaand got a refund. it was out of stock. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mhtm Ghnd
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:

This still an option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, drop me a GM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who might find this thread later - it isn't available any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mhtm Ghnd
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Haager
msg tools
Artful Dodger Printer Version of Drive Core

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F Thiess
msg tools
UpStarter wrote:
And just to compare value for money (in game, that is):

list price of Artful Dodger = $8500, with a Crew of 7
Exterior Cargo Pods = $600, to bring Cargo Hold up to 8 - same as a Standard Firefly
Total equivalent value = $9100

list price of standard Firefly = $7800, with a Crew of 6
Modified Radion Accelerator Mark II = $1200, to bring the range up to 6
Total equivalent value = $9000 and still 1 Crew less.

So for $100 more, the AD has an extra Crew "slot." I think that makes the Artful Dodger a bargain. IMHO

As much as the Dodger looks cool, but it really isn't worth it when you realize the importance of having as much space possible. Between the needs for fuel, parts, loot from salvage, running multiple jobs, it isn't as practical. You can make a regular Firefly just as good, if not better, with crew, upgrades and a aftermarket drive core. Sure you can play the Dodger, but I think it will be a easier to win with another ship.

$100 more in game might be a bargain for you, $70 on Ebay for me isn't.
Not having to say not to say "no" to extra goods, passengers and fugitives = priceless
A bootleg copy is the way to go, if you wanna be bad guys, you know, crime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Is this getting a reprint? Someone on Amazon has it listed as available again (in a few days) for a [comparatively] reasonable price. Not sure what's going on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.