Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any difference between overwatch and opportunity fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently I need for caffeine today, but can you do me a solid and tell me where Overwatch is from? I am drawing a blank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overwatch is from St. Mere Eglise. There is a token for it and the Paratroop BAR team has it on their counter. It is a gunsight with an "x" in the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what if anything do the St Mere Eglise rules say about "Overwatch"? A verbatim quote would help.

I ask because I don't have a PDF of the rules with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my copy of Ste. Mere Eglise in front of me now, and I cannot find it. I need a bit more help finding the text.

The Special Abilities listed are:
Charge
Urban Combat
Demolition
Inspiration
Munitions Carrier

So where did you see the reference? You have me very curious now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BAR Team unit in St Mere Eglise has the Opportunity Fire symbol, which is a red cross hairs enclosed in two blue semi-circle arcs with arrows. This symbol is very clearly displayed in the base game rules.

The term "overwatch" is not used anywhere in the rules to my knowledge, though I have seen threads using that term instead of opp fire (which is confusing BTW).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle
pisqueeter wrote:
The BAR Team unit in St Mere Eglise has the Opportunity Fire symbol, which is a red cross hairs enclosed in two blue semi-circle arcs with arrows. This symbol is very clearly displayed in the base game rules.

The term "overwatch" is not used anywhere in the rules to my knowledge, though I have seen threads using that term instead of opp fire (which is confusing BTW).

Page 17 of the English 1.2b rules clearly has his as the opportunity fire symbol

It may function like overwatch in other games but it is clearly Opportunity fire as pisqueeter points out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakjck wrote:
Overwatch is from St. Mere Eglise. There is a token for it and the Paratroop BAR team has it on their counter.

In the process of answering a different question, I realized I had missed part of your statement and thus the source of your confusion.

The BAR team has the standard Special Ability, which is to say "Opportunity Fire". That symbol is available in the Game Summary on the back of the HoN rules (and is also included in the rulebook itself)

"Overwatch" is a Recruitment Option found in the Carentan box -- I do not recall the tokens in Ste. Mere but certainly there is no reference in the scenario book. This option allows a unit to employ Opportunity Fire by spending a token. Thus they are related, but Overwatch is not a "mistranslation" of OpFire but rather a token that grants the ability for a single use each. The Overwatch tokens have the symbol for OpFire on them, since that is the ability it grants.

Sorry for my confusion, and hopefully that helps clarify things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.