Subject: Does puzzle solving attempt counts as an action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Does puzzle solving attempt counts as an action?

For example, I want to open a lock, there is a puzzle.
I start to do the puzzle, but I can't finish it. Therefore my search attempt did not succeed.

Did I lost my action?

Does someone else or me have to spend another action to finish the puzzle?

(When I try to get into a locked room, I can't, but I see the type of lock. After that, my movements did not lost, I can continue my way.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time you tap an icon in the app and pick an option with the action icon spends an action. Puzzles will often take a couple actions to finish off, especially if they're based on a stat you aren't strong in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
Every time you tap an icon in the app and pick an option with the action icon spends an action. Puzzles will often take a couple actions to finish off, especially if they're based on a stat you aren't strong in.

This is the First Edition forums, mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Basically, the answer is yes. If you attempt to do something like opening a door or a box that requires you to solve a puzzle, and you can not solve it, this aborts your action, making it spent, so to say. If you still have movement left, for example, you might try to enter the room again, and continue solving the puzzle. If you fail again, you have also used up that second movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torgo shuffle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends. Puzzles found on Lock cards are solved using the Movement Step that triggered them: e.g., you use your second Movement Step to try and unlock a door puzzle but fail, you lose the Movement Step but you might still have your Action Step remaining (which you could still spend out in the corridor on something else). But puzzles found on Obstacle cards are solved as part of the Explore Action that triggered them - if that fails, there's nothing more you can do with your Action Step that turn.
Also, remember that puzzles have a one-attempt-per-investigator-per-turn attempt limit (so even though you could potentially have 3 Movement Steps in a turn, you can't attempt to solve that Electric Lock 3 times in one turn to open that door).

Quote:
For example, I want to open a lock, there is a puzzle.
I start to do the puzzle, but I can't finish it. Therefore my search attempt did not succeed.

Did I lost my action?

Does someone else or me have to spend another action to finish the puzzle?

So if it was a Lock card, you've lost that Movement Step and cannot try again this turn (but someone else can) and if it was an Obstacle card, you've lost that Action Step and cannot try again this turn (but someone else can)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.