$15.00
$5.00
Bryce C
United States
flag msg tools
Still waiting to fight Galactus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a little nit-picky and I really do like how Hawkeye works with other heroes but I am surprised that he doesn't have even one ranged class on any of his cards. I know this observation is really late because of how old the base set is now.

I like to think of things thematically so please let me know what your thoughts are! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stealthy104 wrote:
This might be a little nit-picky and I really do like how Hawkeye works with other heroes but I am surprised that he doesn't have even one ranged class on any of his cards. I know this observation is really late because of how old the base set is now.

I like to think of things thematically so please let me know what your thoughts are! Thanks!

You are very correct. This has actually been discussed quite thoroughly in the humorous GeekList That is illogical captain! - Logical inconsistencies in otherwise fine games.

Link for the specific Legendary entry in question re: Hawkeye/Ranged:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/18878/item/2431331#it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because this game is far from perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally the Blue Ranged class cards seem focused mostly on energy attacks and ranged powers.

Hawkeye, being basically a highly-skilled human being, mostly relies on his technology (bow/arrows) and instincts to defeat his foes.

I agree that it seems out of place, but I'm sure they did it mostly for gameplay balancing as there are already a number of heroes blue/ranged class cards in the core set and not as many (off memory) heroes with tech and instinct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably because he doesn't fit what the rulebook classifies as ranged.

He's more tech than ranged from the descriptions (he was a former assassin after all and uses high tech arrows).

Strength Heroes
include Heroes with
raw strength, but also Heroes with strength
of will, determination, and strong leadership.

Instinct Heroes
use savagery and
quick reflexes to dominate combats. Some
Instinct Heroes use superhuman senses to
get an edge on their opponents.

Covert Heroes
include Heroes using
trickery and deception to outwit their foes.
They also include Heroes making clever
battle plans and Heroes using subtle
superpowers to gain subtle advantages.

Tech Heroes
include Heroes using
advanced weaponry, incredible gadgets,
brilliant inventions, or next-generation
science.

Ranged Heroes
like to blow things
up. Some Ranged Heroes use inherent
superpowers to blast things, while others
use energy beams, elemental powers, and
mental assaults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rraahk wrote:
Generally the Blue Ranged class cards seem focused mostly on energy attacks and ranged powers.

Hawkeye, being basically a highly-skilled human being, mostly relies on his technology (bow/arrows) and instincts to defeat his foes.

I agree that it seems out of place, but I'm sure they did it mostly for gameplay balancing as there are already a number of heroes blue/ranged class cards in the core set and not as many (off memory) heroes with tech and instinct.

For the sake of evaluating balance, the base set has (not counting duplicates)

Covert: 12 cards
Instinct: 13 cards
Ranged: 12 cards
Strength: 11 cards
Tech: 12 cards

So I think it's a fair assessment. For perfect balance, they could have given Wolverine a Strength card rather than 4 Instinct cards... which would have been more thematic to his character anyway. But hindsight I guess.

That said, I don't think it would have hurt to give Hawkeye 1 Ranged card... though his Ranged abilities do depend on the technology (bow) he wields, the same can be said for Iron Man or Thor. Remove the Exosuit or Mjolnir from the equation, and neither of them have Ranged attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce C
United States
flag msg tools
Still waiting to fight Galactus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the quick responses! It makes sense to me thematically and balance wise now. I had no idea that ranged attacks didn't include things like bows/guns and thrown things.

This is great for anyone wanting to make customs and determining which class to make their cards! Thanks all, once again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also just change Hawkeye's cards to Dual class...adding Range to all of them.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1401795/rangerrobs-legendar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others have said, Ranged is not really "ranged". His arrows are Tech-based rather than energy blasts and the like.

Still, you'll periodically find cards where the design fits the game balance and mechanics more than the theme. Hence, the many variants to satisfy the whims of every fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Whereas Bullseye is all about energy weapons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.