7 Posts

Captain Sonar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Calling a Bad Stop and Letting the Radio Operator Detonate Mines rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple thoughts that I had after getting this to the table a few times. Its not uncommon in our games for the captain to get too excited and call Stop! before checking with the engineer if they can use the system they're planning on using. A few times this resulted in a bad Stop! where they didn't end up being able to do anything at all. There's no built in penalty for this that I could find so I just wanted your thoughts on whether there should be a penalty at all and what would be appropriate?

Another mistake actually came from me as the radio operator. The other sub ended up on one of our mines and I called Stop! and had the captain detonate the mine. Nobody minded too much because it was really cool and our first successfully used mine, but I honestly believe this should be allowed. The radio operator is undoubtedly the person best suited to discover when the other team is on a mine and the captain has a lot of other stuff to track already. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirby_j3 wrote:
There's no built in penalty for this that I could find so I just wanted your thoughts on whether there should be a penalty at all and what would be appropriate?

Huh, looks like we may have been playing a variant, but when we played the first mate would wipe the system board during any announced activation, whether or not it could actually go off, so trigger happy captains would need to wait for the recharge.

I think I'll continue to play that way, as it worked really well!

I agree with you that the Radio operator might on occasion be the best person to see when the mine should activate, but I wouldn't want to give them that power because it would reduce the 'chaotic communication skills' needed to run the boat successfully!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
live every day as if it were your first
mbmbmbmbmb
webdanzer wrote:
the first mate would wipe the system board during any announced activation, whether or not it could actually go off

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
webdanzer wrote:
Huh, looks like we may have been playing a variant, but when we played the first mate would wipe the system board during any announced activation, whether or not it could actually go off, so trigger happy captains would need to wait for the recharge.

This is perfect! Not too harsh but still a sufficient deterrent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Yes, this might happen in games when the stress is at its peak.

I would say that only a stop called by the Captain is valid. Any other teammates cannot call a stop.

As for "bad" stops, if it happens once, I would let it pass. But it shouldn't happen too often.

Derek's suggestion of emptying the called system seems reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frank chang
Taiwan
flag msg tools
webdanzer wrote:

the first mate would wipe the system board during any announced activation, whether or not it could actually go off,

Awesome rule! thumbsup
Also pass the board to the enemy First Mate to have it verified wipe clean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Twitter @kyleglyn reddit /u/kyleglyn
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
webdanzer wrote:

I think I'll continue to play that way, as it worked really well!

We had this problem last night when playing. I think I will implement this deterrent on my next session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.